Tin and Hooded Vans

Rate this topic

Mayner

The 1st batch of vans is largely sold out and should be winging their way to the Northern Hemisphere after Christmas.

A small number of vans are currently available at $105NZ +$20 shipping.

If there is sufficient interest I will look at producing the TPO/Heuston Tool Van version.

P7T 2 001.jpg

Sligo TPO Photos © David Malone

I want to thank the lads for their patience over the past few years waiting for the kits to arrive and support in

jumping into somewhat unknown water with brass kits.:tumbsup:

I will put up a tutorial when I get a chance to help with the assembly.

Luggage.jpg

Gangway close up.jpg

Side and roof.jpg

Heating and luggage.jpg

P7T 1 001.jpg

Edited by Mayner

There were 10 4w Sorting Vans, they seem to have been used to replace pre-amalgamation 6 w TOPs on secondary lines main lines. JW Sutherland 15 05 Sligo Dublin.jpg

Up and Down afternoon Sligo trains crossing at Carrick on Shannon 1975

© J W Sutherland.

Interesting comparison in body profiles between early MK2 Bredin and later Laminate/Craven period stock

The TPO has a similar profile to the 1st coach an early (1953) CIE Second Open. The heating van at the head of the down train is a 6 wheeler with a similar profile to the Laminates and Cravens, the rest of the train appears to be a mix of early CIE stock and Park Royals.

The van in David Malone's photo appears to be coupled to a 4w luggage van possibly as part of the Night Mail to Mullingar.

Edited by Mayner

Can someone help me out here- am I right in thinking that a variation of one of these 4 wheelers ended up on the 90's formation of the weed spray train? I know I've a pic somewhere. I would be looking for 1 kit for this purpose please John. (will pm you)

Edit: just re-read your post, I'd be interested in a second to model the Hueston Tool van aswell.

Edited by dave182

Can someone help me out here- am I right in thinking that a variation of one of these 4 wheelers ended up on the 90's formation of the weed spray train? I know I've a pic somewhere. I would be looking for 1 kit for this purpose please John. (will pm you)

Edit: just re-read your post, I'd be interested in a second to model the Hueston Tool van aswell.

The Heuston tool van is the same one that was used on the weedsprayer. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Whats the Story on the Last Van in the Pictres John, Are these Available kit wise too? Must of missed that one popping up here!

Oh TPO or 3 would be on order with me as well!!

DSCF8496.jpg

I have a few Luggage Vans in stock, the interior with the bars is a one piece fold up etching that also retains the glazing.

The TPO will probably follow the MGWR Meat Van Mid-late 2014. with alternative sides to cover the Heuston tool van conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a fascinating picture, Mayner... I love that stuff of Ernie's.

Interesting to see the tin vans in green and silver; two brand new vehicles in older liveries, while an 1880s / 1890s GSWR passenger brake is in the latest livery. A perfect indication of the contrasts to be seen at that time between old and new. The only other thing in the new livery in that pic is an even newer 141 class!

The picture in itself provides excellent inspiration for a modeller of the 1955-65 period, probably the most fascinating in Irish railway history.

The strange thing about the final days of the six wheelers is that the final passenger carrying ones all remained green to the end and were all, or virtually all, of Midland Great Western origin, while the few remaining passenger brake vans were GSWR, and ended up in black'n'tan! You'd have expected it to be the other way round, because passenger brakes right into late "laminate" days in the 1980s, were always the poor relations in the paint shop....

• 2 years later...