Station Garage at Arigna Town

Rate this topic

David Holman

This little cameo has been a long time in the making and it never ceases to amaze me how long the little details can take.

The petrol pumps have had their 'heads' removed because I wasn't able to get the lettering right, though transfers may become available again one day I hear. The pumps are scratchbuilt in plasticard, though very similar in outline to the former Classic Commercials Kits. The hose is layout wire and the handles bits I found in the scrapbox. The Austin 7 is a Southeastern Finecast kit. Very nice, but time-consuming to build because of waiting for paint to dry between so many of the stages. The wire wheels are etched stainless steel and rather nice. A neat trick for those who haven't come across it before is to file/sand the bottom of the tyres so the model 'sits' in the way a real car would - ie depressing the tyres slightly. A 2 min job, but very effective. Added windscreen wiper and [local] number plates, but not much else needed. The Humber in the workshop is an old Dinky toy. Much battered from my childhood and [scarily] over 50 years old, I committed heresy by stripping the paint and removing the wheels. A quick respray, then raised on blocks over the inspection pit and Robert is your father's brother' as the saying goes. Various bits & pieces from the scrapbox complete the scene.DSCN0558.jpg

Figures [which are one of my least favourite jobs] come from a variety of sources. Omen and Phoenix are definitely the best, but in the larger scale you get some lovely little sculptures from other folk too, such as Dart Castings, ABS etc

DSCN0557.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0554.jpg

They come as a stainless steel etch, Broithe. Ten pieces in all, they go together in pairs either side of the whitemetal tyre casting. The wheel centre is a brass turning that slots neatly into the middle. All very neat and accurate. the rest of the kit is whitemetal. Little if any flash and for 20 quid, good value. Not a quick build though as what to paint & when needs thinking about & the instructions are limited to general advice and a clear exploded diagram. Southeastern Finecast do an interesting range of vehicles, including larger scale stuff too. Worth looking up.

They come as a stainless steel etch, Broithe. Ten pieces in all, they go together in pairs either side of the whitemetal tyre casting. The wheel centre is a brass turning that slots neatly into the middle. All very neat and accurate. the rest of the kit is whitemetal. Little if any flash and for 20 quid, good value. Not a quick build though as what to paint & when needs thinking about & the instructions are limited to general advice and a clear exploded diagram. Southeastern Finecast do an interesting range of vehicles, including larger scale stuff too. Worth looking up.

Thanks, I did have quick look round the South Eastern Finecast set up a few years ago, whilst picking some materials up from him - a really professional operation.