Aughrim Station, Co. Wicklow

Rate this question

dave182

Question

I'm always full of questions so here goes...

Looking at the history of the D&SER and I was just reading up on the branch from Woodenbridge to Shillelagh. It closed to passangers in 1944 I think but kept open for freight until 1963.

The freight flow was to Aughrim, and specifically Fogarty's Mills (Flour).

What has suddenly made me interested is the closure date of the line, I'm wondering would it have seen an deisel locomotives in the last few years of its life? Also, what type of wagons would have been used at this stage?

Any help appreciated!

Edited by dave182

5 answers to this question

I'm always full of questions so here goes...

Looking at the history of the D&SER and I was just reading up on the branch from Woodenbridge to Shillelagh. It closed to passangers in 1944 I think but kept open for freight until 1963.

The freight flow was to Aughrim, and specifically Fogerty's Mills (Flour).

What has suddenly made me interested is the closure date of the line, I'm wondering would it have seen an deisel locomotives in the last few years of its life? Also, what type of wagons would have been used at this stage?

Any help appreciated!

Would that not have been Fogarty's Mill - http://sources.nli.ie/Record/MS_UR_082859 - it matters to some of us...