Postman uniform.

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Enniscorthyman on his first day?

All the pictures available seem to be B/W and show a very dark, if not black, jacket and hat - the trousers don't all seem to be black, most are, though.

I was a postie in the 70's and the uniform then was black with silver buttons. On the sleeves,there was a thin green band around wrist. The hat also had thin green band around it. The uniform was similar to CIE's because I used to get free rides on bus and train as they thought I was one of them.

From An Post heritage dept...asked the q as I have an ex P&T high nelly :) and take her for spins at vintage events.

The design of postmen’s uniforms have not changed very often over the years and in relation to the style in use during the 1950’ to the 1960’s the following details may be of assistance to you:

· The jacket and trousers were a charcoal colour with the jacket containing 3 buttons with a harp symbol, 2 lower pockets and a left breast pocket. A dark woollen worsted coat was worn over the uniform and had 3 buttons with harp symbol, 2 lower pockets and 1 left breast pocket.

· The jacket and coat had 2 green circles near the end of each sleeve and the identity number badge was attached to the breast pocket of the jacket.

· The cap had 2 green circles around the rim and identity badge with the ‘P & T’ symbol/harp symbol.

I assume by 'green circles' he means lines of green piping.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Who would have thought a request of what colour to paint a 40 mm high figure could produced such a response. QUOTE]

its cos we're a sad bunch of lads[ATTACH=CONFIG]10686[/ATTACH]

Well, here he is. Don't think the cap is 'standard', but the black uniform bit certainly not difficult to paint. With the harp logo being no more that a scale 1mm and the wrist bands a mere 0.1mm, am thinking nobody will mind me missing them off.DSCN0647.jpg