Signal Cabin / Signal Box Photos

Rate this topic

Maith an buachaill!

Thanks for the photo, though I called your name more about possibly doing the Navan box at some stage in the future.

Mmmmmmm.

I'll add a few boxes myself when I get home tonight.

Anseo!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10819[/ATTACH]

Possibly the smallest signal box in Ireland?

Maith an buachaill!

Thanks for the photo, though I called your name more about possibly doing the Navan box at some stage in the future.

Navan is similar to the one produced by Bachmann... http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/content.php/210-Bachmann-Irish-Signal-Box

The only visible difference is the windows.

Being pedantic for a moment... 'signal box' is a term used in Great Britain. Over here they're called 'signal cabins'. ;)

Edited by Garfield
  • Like 1

Glenderg, is that what remains of Bruree these days?

In passing, Navan's windows were replaced (in the 1980's?) but were originally the usual design. Bachmann's "Donabate" has windows that don't match anything much in Ireland, and the height is rather excessive for most GNR(I) cabins too.

Edited by BSGSV

is this a quiz or just a general chat?! Richie.

Im gonna go with general chat Richie. To that end here's my two cents worth... The best looking signal box/cabin in Ireland at Waterford Plunket Station (cos I'm biased and from Waterford)! Would look great on any layout. Has anyone had a go at modelling it?

Waterford Signal box 2013 (2).jpg

Waterford Signal box 2013 (3).jpg

Waterford Signal box 2013 (4).jpg

Waterford Signal box 2013 (5).jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately I took those in 2004, so lord knows what condition it's in now. Incidentally, is this a quiz or just a general chat?! Richie.

If it's a quiz, it's your own fault for not naming the location in the first place!

I thought Bruree was bad when I saw it in the 1990's, but I'd be surprised if anything is standing now, by the looks of your 2004 photo.

Bruree was (is?) distinctive, having all the appearance of the 1920's GSWR Cabin design, but with a hipped roof rather than gabled.

Waterford Central is more typical of the GSWR design, but only since 1923 or so, when it was rebuilt after Civil War damage. When it was new c1906 it had a gabled roof. Think all-timber cabin in the style of Roscrea, only bigger.

Waterford Central interior from the mid-1990's. The GSWR Tappet frame is probably a 1923 replacement.

wtcframe.jpg

• Like 2

Anseo!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10819[/ATTACH]

Possibly the smallest signal box in Ireland?

I think that title may go to Charleville 'B', Mogeely was tiny as well.

Saw Bruree maybe 3 years ago, it was standing (just about)

(btw Charleville 'B' still exists, I have been told :) )

Re terminology, they're also called cabins in the Highlands, and a loco cab is a 'hoose'!!

Edited by minister_for_hardship

The best looking signal box/cabin in Ireland at Waterford Plunket Station (cos I'm biased and from Waterford)! Would look great on any layout. Has anyone had a go at modelling it?

She's possibly the finest all right, if only for the complexity and uniqueness. Would love to have a crack at it all right, possibly this time next year though! R.

• Like 1

Albert Qy had a overhead signal cabin, the one on the bridge is for the lifting spans, the Barrow and suir bridges have similar control boxes, definitely wouldn't fancy been in either control boxes today with the wind that comes down both river valleys.

I think this is the one you refer to RS?

Albert Quay.JPG

Some other favourites of mine

East Wall Junction Box, controlling entry to Connolly and Docklands. Long gone sadly.

01..jpg

Today.jpg

and Howth Junction, still there but knackered.

howth_junction.jpg

howth_Junction_today.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...