Bachmann F7 DCC sound

Rate this topic

These were a present from the kids for my birthday last month, just got around to doing a video of them.

F7 A+B units in Norfolk and Southern livery. They are from the Bachmann Soundvalue range and I know that Baccy stuff doesn't have a great rep with

modellers but I find these really good. The quality of the sound is impressive even though it has limited functions and the motor control is very smooth once you are willing to play around with the CVs of the factory installed Tsunami decoder.

Have a look (and listen) and see what you think....

These were a present from the kids for my birthday last month, just got around to doing a video of them.

F7 A+B units in Norfolk and Southern livery. They are from the Bachmann Soundvalue range and I know that Baccy stuff doesn't have a great rep with

modellers but I find these really good. The quality of the sound is impressive even though it has limited functions and the motor control is very smooth once you are willing to play around with the CVs of the factory installed Tsunami decoder.

Have a look (and listen) and see what you think....

Hi irishthump,

Very impressive and love the sound - reminds me of the small Irish GMs.

They use the same basic emd 567 prime mover as the baby GMs, albeit with more cylinders I think, hence why they sound similar.

Yeah the Baby GMs use an 8 cylinder while the F7s had a 12 cylinder engine. But I don't think there is much difference sound wise. Digitrains in the UK sell a Tsunami with the 567 sound on it but since it's US outline the other sounds won't be prototypical. But you can choose from 16 different horn sounds so you may well find one that is close to an Irish sound.

ESU have downloadable sound files on their website, they have several generic US files including a couple of 567 prime movers as well as the 071 and 201. You can listen to samples on the website and they sound pretty close to a Baby GM. These can be loaded onto any Loksound decoder if you have a Lokprogrammer which can be got for around €150.

I was also onto Olivia's Trains in the UK and they can load any of those sound files to a decoder for you. Furthermore, they can mix and match sounds from other files. I was asking them could they take the 071 or 201 sound file and replace the prime mover with the 567 and they said it was no problem.

But as I said, if you buy a Lokprogrammer you can do all this yourself!

Those ones are set up for DC running out of the box. When I get a chance I'll try them on DC and let you know how they are.

Well I gave the loco a go on a length of DC track using a normal Bachmann control. The sound started up after turning the power up about half way but I couldn't get the loco to move even at full power. Maybe the controller didn't provide enough juice?

I'll double check later to see if DC running is activated.