Scots Mac's workbench

Rate this topic

Scots Mac

Hi Nelson, not worth posting the jeep progress at the moment as I've only started to cut round the cabs but I will post stuff as and when.Might be a while though befiore I get back round to the Northern stuff. I'll need to check out the U2 and Y class....any pics ? Good christmas to yourself too Nelson. heres a seasonal picture you might like. (I also have a garden railway,currently being changed from G scale to O scale but thats a whole other story) .This photograph was taken a few years ago one winter's morning when we had a very slight dusting of snow.the shallow snow cover made the scene almost scale-looking.The train is a G scale(1/29th) American B&O pacific and two heavyweight coaches.Loco and train added up to about 9 feet long. The scene is now history,everything ripped up and changed but I always liked this picture. Merry Xmas to you. DAVY :tumbsup:BO_Merry_Scottish_Xmas_1-2.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Davy, once progress has been made on the Jeep then I'll be very interested in seeing it.

Fantastic picture, your correct the light snow really does make it look like proper scale snow, superb.

Here's my locomotives (3 so far)

1) U2 "Dunluce castle" No74 NCC wartime black (simple repaint)

2) Y1 number 18 UTA livery (repaint, added detail)

3) U2 "carrickfergus castle" No81 (conversion and added detail (steam pipe etc..))

All work was done by myself honest.

And I'm looking at the possibility of a U1 and V1 next year.

Just a few pics (don't want to hijack your brilliant thread)

Thanks

Nelson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Nelson, don't worry about hi-jacking "my" thread, we're all in the same boat eh ??,the more pics the merrier. Those engines look absoltely great.

What model is that 4-4-0 based on, ??...looks like an airfix drive unit in the tender ??? Really like that. The other engine,that would be one of the two LMS jintys sent over to Ulster and converted to 5ft3" gauge right ?. Know what, I have one of those kicking about in a box somewhere,I think its either Bachmann or Hornby..... oh well...theres another conversion I can do some time. I like that 4-4-0 in black. I don't like the midland red colour like the one in Cultra museum...is that the same kinda loco ?... it looks like it. Much better in black. Davy

Thank you for your kind words Davy.

The U2 4-4-0 (same as the one currently in the museum) is a hornby 2P locomotive that you can pick up for roughly £30, it is the older tender driven version, which I don't really like, it's not a smooth runner and very noisy, but it does have provesion for me to fit the newer 2P loco drive chassis, so when I get the money i will definitely upgrade her.

The 0-6-0 Y class is a hornby Jinty just simply re painted and re lined (about 1 1/2 years ago now)

your correct, it represents 1 of the 2 jinties that came from the LMS in 1941 and bought for £3000 each to help out with extra traffic and loses during the war.

Although the hornby model looks alright, I want to get a Bachmann one, seeing as the detail is far superior on the Bachmann model. And do another model this time of number 19.

For my U1 conversion, I'm looking at using the hornby T9 loco driven chassis, 2P body and a Bachmann short wheel base fowler tender.

Thanks for the interest,

Nelson

Hi Guys, OK heres how I tackled the 800 tenders. The three locos I have converted to represent 800 B1a 4-6-0s were Rebuilt Patriots by Mainline. However the tenders that come with them just aren't right for the 800 class. I chose tender tops from the Hornby range. In this case from Hornby patriots. I bought them from ebay for £4 each. As I explained in my previous post I haven't made up my mind yet what tender base to use for these yet. The Hornby patriots were tender driven locos so these tender tops clip fit onto various Hornby powered tender bases and with modification will also fit onto mainline, etc.,etc., bases too. [ATTACH=CONFIG]10841[/ATTACH]Anyway these patriot tops have a rivit line just about the right height near the top and this is where I decided to make the alterations to make this tender look more like the 800's type tender I ran masking tape along this rivit line and buffed away the bunker sides at an angle with my dremel sander.[ATTACH=CONFIG]10842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10843[/ATTACH]. The plastic coal load leaves enough support for the new replacement angled bunker sides to be fitted. I cut the plastic strips for this purpose at 7mm across which I judged to be just about right and glued them in place. Once secure I then shaped them with the dremel tool and re-shaped what needed reshaped on the front of the original tender body too. This then left a space the length of the tender between the plasticrad and the tender side.I filled this with filler and sanded it smooth/curved and this finishes it to look like a curved angled plate as per the 800 class. I also removed the dome and filler from the back of the tenders with my dremel and re-sheeted the back of the tender and also made a new bunker back further to the rear. I still have to finish these tenders off ,coal load, water filler etc. These aren't meant to be 100% accurate but to my eyes they are close enough and look far more like 800 tenders than using the tenders that come with them.[ATTACH=CONFIG]10847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10851[/ATTACH] Cheers DAVY:-bd

you make it look so simple-thanks for that!

Hi Heirflick, easy enough, and even if you make a mistake nine times out of ten it can always be fixed with glue,filler and paint. Nelson ,now you've got me lookin at your northern engines again. I'll need to have a look on ebay etc., and see exactly what you're refering to,I've had my head immersed in CIE steam the last few weeks so I'm more up to speed with them than the Ulster stuff. Cheers DAVY

Hi Nelson,well you got me hooked on that black 4-4-0 ,I bought two last night on ebay ,both tender drives and both by Mainline . I got one for £35 and the other for £22. Both runners but the cheaper one was missing its tender top...no big deal I'll get one for it. I'll need to get your advice nelson on decals and lining for the Northen Irish stuff. Cheers Davy

Hi Scots Mac Davy, I only joined this site a short while ago with a few to finding out more of exactly what you are doing. I really like the materials you are using. And your results are fantastic. Top draw stuff, God help your ears with the drimal :)

I have a few royal scots from ebay to convert to queens, but feel, like your good self, more work is needed than just a paint job. So the isopon and files are out. I do love what you have done to create your Queens.

You were working on E1/ 279 loco, you were going to “alter the cab opening, and give it spectacle windows and safety valves and whistle etc.” The door/side window opening needs to be rounded at the front and the door/opening moved back, along with the step to the middle of the back wheels. No bother to ye :)

I’d love to see this model finished, I hope you get a chance to back to it.

There was also the ammonia train, I’m dying to see these finished, they look an easy enough conversion. Have you any ideas for the safety water tankers? I have a 141 and a C class, I would love to see pulling that train.

How is the GSR/CIE 650 class? You started with a Hornby LBSCR and with some major surgery made an amazing model. Did you put the rear wheels on her?

I love what you did with the tender box and cab roof for the Queens, it is perfect. It really shows one of the Queens best features in full glory.

I am really interested in hearing what you will do for the name plates. That has me stumped. It would be a shame not to have a half decent representation of the plates on all three engines. I won't be able to make, I don't brass.

The very best of luck with your builds, you really must get them onto a clubs layout to give them a run, some photos or even video would be a real pleasure to see.

Thanks for posting your thread, very enjoyable.

Leo

Hi Guys, should have said Nelson, I'm only interested in the period from 1950 onwards. So later steam era.

Now LEO..., As for the 3 Queens nameplates and cab plates are available in the Gaelic script for them all. So no problem there.

I only got into the irish scene at the back end of the summer. Since then I've been collecting models in a big way ,researching and trying to learn about the irish railways and building as I go. I never concentrate on one project at a time as I get bored and like to have a variety of jobs on the go.

As for the Ammonia tanks , I have still to paint the bogies and blacken the couplers but I am not going to decal them. Having watched film of them it seems that some of them latterly only had the basic paint job with the central orange line,so that'll do for me.Rolling stock isn't a huge deal to me, as long it looks kinda correct I'm fine with it. My first interest is locomotives,everything else is secondary.

I have also done a rake of 7 Lima ore wagons that look very much like the Tara mines wagons,except the Lima wagons have no buffers,but I will add buffers to them and will put roofs on them too. The Lima wagons have 12 panel sections whic is the same as the Tara mines wagons. I painted them oxide and they look the part with my modern irish diesels. I've also made a start to doing approximations of two different era CIE/IE weedkiller trains also for my diesels. And I'm also collecting various other wagons by Hornby etc., to make container trains too. As for the two buffer wagons that went either end of the ammonia trains I will do them with flat wagons with a tank container on each. Easy enough.

As for the 279 and 650 tanks ,no more work has been done to them yet. I spent my evening painting a Woolwich 2-6-0 into grey. I've attached a picture of the type Lima ore wagon I've used for the Tara Mines wagon. Lioma made them in various colourschemes. As you can see though they have 12 sections exactly as per the Tara wagons, close enough eh ??Lima ore wagon.jpg

Hi Guys, yip, all nice paintjobs there indeed. I still have to do the more fernickety lining on my three 800s and on their tenders. Lining's a job that drives me nuts but its necessary.

Leo, I use car body spray paints if I can get a match thats close ,however so far thats mostly only been for undercoats with the irish models.All the finishing paintwork is brush applied enamel or matt ,finished off with satin varnish. Heirflick, I'll dig out the ore wagons I'm in the middle of doing for Tara wagons...... if I can find them..... !!?? ,they're kicking about in a box.......:confused: somewhere......

Hi Guys, well I bought a Bachmann Woolwich (English Southern livery) a few weeks back . Saw Anthony's 387 in grey with black smokebox here on the forum the other day and thought....I like that!!. So I got the paint brush out yesterday and painted her up. The decals are eau-de-nil by railtec . Paint is Humbrol Matt No 91 . Took two coats. Then I satin varnished her and added decals then another blast of satin. I chose the same number as Anthony did because he'd done the research on this engine and it was apparently one of the few grey CIE engines to receive a black smokebox. Anyway here she is.... another one for my irish steam fleet. I might get round to super-detailing her some day but all in all she looks alright. I think I paid £40 odd quid for this engine off ebay. Nice runner too. Cool :-bd!! DSCN2977.jpg