Cork Station closed.

Rate this topic

Such a shame that was a beautiful canopy. Looks like the columns have snapped in half. No doubt they'll replace it with something god awful ugly!! And just as I was about to start modelling it..

It's possible it's a protected structure. If it is, they'll have to rebuild it rather than replace it.

wonder if there is much damage to her?

Mmmm, the amount of sundering might suggest that it didn't come down slowly..

.. you can never really tell until you recover the situation..

.. a chap near me fell through the roof of his greenhouse and it took us fifteen minutes to carefully lift all the glass off him - not a mark..

..but he could have been cut to pieces.

The term protected structure doesn't exist when it comes to IE

Bang on Scahalane.

The entire complex is recorded on the list of protected structures, and no doubt the decision makers in IE will look to install a modern replacement. Whatever happen's, they'll have to apply for planning permission, and I'll be taking a mighty interest in it. What's more appalling about this is that it highlights quite clearly, Iarnrod Eireann's apparent lack of maintenance and inspection of core infrastructure. Cast Iron does tend to be brittle, but the way they designed and assembled the structure originally should have coped with the wind loading.

Richie

Bang on Scahalane.

The entire complex is recorded on the list of protected structures, and no doubt the decision makers in IE will look to install a modern replacement. Whatever happen's, they'll have to apply for planning permission, and I'll be taking a mighty interest in it. What's more appalling about this is that it highlights quite clearly, Iarnrod Eireann's apparent lack of maintenance and inspection of core infrastructure. Cast Iron does tend to be brittle, but the way they designed and assembled the structure originally should have coped with the wind loading.

Richie

The thing we should also remember is that the canopy survived several decades, and CIE/IE's parsimonious neglect. The cynic in me (and I'm a cynical man, Ted, as ye know) wonders if IE were hoping that this thing would fall down eventually, so that they could whip in a new glass-and-steel version.....or save money and leave the platform exposed.

id say the canopy will never be replaced. you'll see the standard steel bench with the standard steel shelter scattered along the platform as is the case in portarlington.

There will be a mother and father of a row if they tried pulling that stunt.

I had the good fortune last year to work on cast iron buildings in Liverpool, and they are put together like lego. The base is installed, the column sockets into it, and the cap then locks into the top. The current logic would be to fill them with lean mix concrete to solidify the column, but that didn't happen. The columns didn't snap as I thought, they just unlocked from their collars. The parts are lying about in this photo.

cork-634x451.jpg

1488084_461134353996319_2131614022_n.jpg

So there must have been an updraft of some force to unseat the connections. Then I wondered why during the extensive roof renovations last year by Weslin was the platform ignored?

http://www.weslin.ie/projects/civil-engineering/kent-station/

Then Horsetan posted, and it's all getting weird! Richie.

there must have been an updraft of some force to unseat the connections.

The parents had a sort of tornado affair this afternoon in Rathdowney, Co Laois. Brought a tree down across the road ( which they've moaned about for years! ) and sucked the gravel off the drive and spat it at the windows - two traffic cones went about fifty yards - etc..

There's just no arguing with those sorts of things. We had a proper tornado in Cyprus, Christmas Eve 1970 - the aftermath looked like a lawnmower had run over a train set.