Cork Station closed.

Rate this topic

The thing we should also remember is that the canopy survived several decades, and CIE/IE's parsimonious neglect. The cynic in me (and I'm a cynical man, Ted, as ye know) wonders if IE were hoping that this thing would fall down eventually, so that they could whip in a new glass-and-steel version.....or save money and leave the platform exposed.

This is IE we're talking about here, don't think they put quite that much thought into it.

I think it flipped like a brolly in a once a century strong gust and the area is pretty exposed anyway, moreso now that the carriage shed is gone.

Think it's hoping beyond hope that an (improved) replica will be installed in its place, more like bus shelters like everywhere else.

Looking at other pics, the old goods store doesn't look too clever, with all those missing (and presumably loose) slates.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

There will be a mother and father of a row if they tried pulling that stunt.

I had the good fortune last year to work on cast iron buildings in Liverpool, and they are put together like lego. The base is installed, the column sockets into it, and the cap then locks into the top. The current logic would be to fill them with lean mix concrete to solidify the column, but that didn't happen. The columns didn't snap as I thought, they just unlocked from their collars. The parts are lying about in this photo.

Then Horsetan posted, and it's all getting weird! Richie.

Heard from someone on the ground, as it were, the columns are cast all one piece and did snap. It's a very clean break.

Heard from someone on the ground, as it were, the columns are cast all one piece and did snap. It's a very clean break.

Most interesting Minister, makes it easier then to recast them. Metallurgy will pick out any inferior materials, then IE can go after the scottish casting firm, possibly carlisle. They might just be out of business though...

Saw them myself last night, most are snapped off where the column changes section down near the base, at least one was broken halfway up the column at an angle.

Cast iron is good in compression but is quite brittle with no tensile strength, with only single line of supporting columns it was only a matter of time of one snapping once the canopy started to flex.

These 1:100 year weather events are becoming increasingly frequent, tornados seem to re-occur in much the same areas part of Auckland is developing a reputation of a tornado alley with two quite bad ones in recent years

• 5 weeks later...