All nameplates and cabside plates soon available from 247 developments.

Rate this topic

Scots Mac

Hi Guys, I have already received excellent nameplates and cabside number plates for the 800 class 4-6-0 locos Maeve and Macha from Gary at 247 developments. He is now working on the third engine's plates "Tailte" . The plates are beautifully produced in correct Irish Gaelic script. all three sets will be available in the new year. DSCN2964.JPG

Hi Guys, I have already received excellent nameplates and cabside number plates for the 800 class 4-6-0 locos Maeve and Macha from Gary at 247 developments. He is now working on the third engine's plates "Tailte" . The plates are beautifully produced in correct Irish Gaelic script. all three sets will be available in the new year. [ATTACH=CONFIG]10838[/ATTACH]

Those plates look magnificent! :tumbsup:

Hi Guys heres better shots of the plates. I am in contact with Gary at 247. There is a bit of confusion about the 800 class nameplates and cabside plates. I've read that originally all three of the class were turned out with blue backed nameplates with cabside number plates brass on black. This would appear to be and always was the case with engine 800 ,the preserved loco Maeve. However Macha and Tailte are a bit of a mystery. I have certainly without doubt pinned down that Macha ,certainly by 1961 sported her number plates and cabside plates both backed in red as online colour pictures show.This is beyond doubt. She has a single chimney by this time. Another colour photo loco reported as Tailte is also sporting red name and number plates,however I'm wondering if this is mistaken identity as Tailte had a single chimney too but was withdrawn much earlier than Maeve or Macha. So Tailte remains a mystery as far as her name/numberplate colours go. DSCN2767.JPG

DSCN2766.JPG

Hi Train model, sounds good to me, I'd rather drive a steam engine than any car any day .Cars ,even the fanciest fastest ones bore the pants off me ! I once got to take the regulator of an LMS black five in Motherwell engine shed here in Scotland.She was one of only three left in steam at the shed. That as when I was about 13/14 years old. about 1966 .... the driver let me reverse her from the water column back into her berth in front of the shed. Have never forgotten that ,amazing. No internal combustion machine comes close !!:tumbsup:

Anyone wondering why THREE 'Maebhdh' nameplates existed (two on the loco and one in the former Fry Model Railway)?

One was cast from a proof to be inspection and approval, the two for the loco were cast before the mould was broken up.

Think that OS Nock Irish Steam book had a story that there was yet another plate cast spelt 'Maeve'...wonder where that went to???

Actually, re the 800's, always wondered why no book was ever dedicated to them, a la the glut of books on the works of Bulleid, Stanier, Gresley etc. Maybe they didn't get a 'fair go' and the class was far too small?

Regarding a book on the 800 class, Minister, I agree it would make fascinating reading. I suspect,though, with only three of them, the number of people who knew them intimately was relatively small, and indeed the great tragedy is that they never got a chance to properly stretch their legs following the advent of diesels and prior to that the fuel crisis.

If anyone ever fancies taking on such a project, I would be delighted to provide any assistance I could....

Hi John a slight point of note... when i wrote about black I was refering to the cabside number plates not the nameplates. The preserved 800 Maeve in Cultra has brass on black on her cabside plates and brass on blue nameplates. Anyway I have forwarded the information you sent me on to Gary at 247 so he now has the necessary information, a big thanks again for the help. As for a book on the 800s would be nice but as you say they were racehorses on a railway system that at the time was pretty much fit mostly only for handling plodding workhorses. From what I've read they'd have held their own with any 4-6-0 on the planet given the propr chance, whatever they were fine looking machines. The best Inchicore and Ireland ever produced.

Hi John a slight point of note... when i wrote about black I was refering to the cabside number plates not the nameplates. The preserved 800 Maeve in Cultra has brass on black on her cabside plates and brass on blue .

It's quite a while since I was in Cultra, Scots Mac. If the number plates on 800 are now black, it is most certainly wrong - they must have been reprinted as the last time I was there, they were the correct blue. If they're now black it would not, unfortunately, be the first time Cultra had got livery details fundamentally wrong.

I can confirm from eye witnesses and photos that none of the locos ever had black backgrounds to either the number or name plates.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jhb171achill

Regarding a book on the 800 class, Minister, I agree it would make fascinating reading. I suspect,though, with only three of them, the number of people who knew them intimately was relatively small, and indeed the great tragedy is that they never got a chance to properly stretch their legs following the advent of diesels and prior to that the fuel crisis.

If anyone ever fancies taking on such a project, I would be delighted to provide any assistance I could....

Richard Pue will be covering the 800s later in his ongoing series of monographs on various Irish locomotive classes, but he's doing all the GNRI and NCC ones first.

His books are limited to 500 copies per class, with proceeds going to the BCDR Trust.

How much are the books?

Between six and eight quid each so far. Depends on the class, really. Every class member is listed, as well as some useful photos. There is also a weight diagram at the back.

I've picked up "S", "V", and "WT" so far. Waiting for "Q" and "800". Not sure the author will touch the 101/J15s - there are too many of those and, anyway, a very good book "Steam In Three Centuries" has covered that class.

Some years back when I used to attend the IRRS meetings, I overheard two very senior members discussing the CC1 a model of the same, and its creator, where one of them commented that this was a case of the model being older than the prototype. He claimed to have build his model "back in the day" using parts from other items in his collection that predated the CC1!

Ger

Hi all,

The 800 and 801 nameplates and numbers can both be seen in Cultra and all have blue backgrounds.

800 plate 2.jpg

Wrenner, thanks for the shout out. Merry Christmas ;)

I also have two variants of the three sets, one for the 800 dimensions and another for the smaller Royal Scot donor splashers.

Also do the J15 #186 and 184, as well as the WT #4.

Anything else, I can do as a metallicised transfer, Gold or Silver, with appropriate coloured background.

Cultra 801.jpg

Edited by Weshty