Rate this topic

wiggy

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I asume you mean the big one thats not wired up and only has one platform on the lower level ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1806[/ATTACH]

Or the one on the upper level. ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1807[/ATTACH]

lol :cool:

Wiggy.

Well, I was referring to the upper level one but both look great, and as Boskonay said the full length rakes look great and really add to the "big station" feel. By the way where do those two tracks that curve off to the right into the tunnel in that first shot go?

• 5 weeks later...

I've just been looking at the photos of this fantastic layout and the video footage as well. This one has to be the largest Irish-based layotu I have seen up to yet and the amount of rolling stock is incredible as well. I really like the station area and the "Enterprise" trains as well mate ;). Not sure if anyone has tried this, but I wonder if the Virgin Pendolino carriages could be converted to resemble the CAF MkIV's that are used between Dublin and Cork? You might get away with kit-bashing a Class 395 "Javelin" driving trailer for the DVT if it could be "squared off" a bit at the front? Just a thought. Keep up the great work anyway buddy.

Ash.

sorry wiggy, i should have explained that i have 8 ammonia wagons and the baby wasnt able to pull them up the slightest incline. double headding solved the problim though!

Seamus looking at Wiggys ammonia wagons they aint MIR ones they are repainted Bachmann/Hornby tankers. Your MIR ammonia wagons are made of resin and there for a lot heavier than Wiggy's look alikes. His would be a hell of a lot lighter than yours. BTW not 100% sure but I think they only ran them in rakes of 6. Try taking 2 of and see how you get on. They will be a good test for the new 071's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1795[/ATTACH]

Edited by Anthony

Seamus looking at Wiggys ammonia wagons they aint MIR ones they are repainted Bachmann/Hornby tankers. Your MIR ammonia wagons are made of resin and there for a lot heavier than Wiggy's look alikes. His would be a hell of a lot lighter than yours. BTW not 100% sure but I think they only ran them in rakes of 6.

well spotted is right! and you are spot on , they only ran in a rake of 6.

wiggy - nice clip of the old layout....very realistic:)

Edited by heirflick

The ammonia trains generally ran in three 6-wagon rakes. Sometimes, as wiggy points out, some rakes would be shorter than normal, possibly due to wagons being out of service for maintenance. For a period the trains ran in two 9-wagon rakes, but this was short lived due to the time taken loading / unloading the wagons impacting on the trains' timetable. Occasionally when a wagon was being sent for maintenance it would be attached to the rear of an empty train out of Shelton Abbey and would be detached at Inchicore. The wagon would be coupled outside the rear water tanker and would have cover on the end of the pressure tank removed by NET / IFI staff to ensure the tank was fully empty of gas.

First time Iv read this thread from beginning to end, and really enjoyed it, we all have our weakness, mine is modelling, I think Wiggy I spent too much on the lineside taking too many photos, I love the freight detail, the fertiliser, and did I see a sleeper paneltrain.

I read here that ammonia train only ran in six formation, well most of the time, but my long hours at the lineside, Iv seen them run with 4tanks, 5 6 7 8 and even 9, but it was mostly six, there seem to be rules, 6 for an Aclass, but Iv seen 7, 8 for double 141 and 071s and 9 for a 201. They ran in 9tanks in the 1990s with a 201, but was discontinued after a derailment at Glasnevin Junction, then of course they ran the odd empty tank outside the water barrier wagon. The first 9tank ammonia train ran with locomotive 080 on Sunday 23rd January 1994, you could do a whole thread on ammonia workings, thanks Wiggy for sharing.

Regards

h.gricer

• Like 1