Rialto's Bench

Rate this topic

Rialto

Hi, I have started a C Class. I am using a Silver Fox body kit and a Lima Class 25.. It is second hand with a bit of damage to the roof. Bit it is a very good runner.

Having cut the buffer ends of the chassis I then cut the center section out to shorten it. I have left the original fuel tank in place for strength, and just removing enough to shorten it to fit. I do have one problem with the model at this point. The wheel-base on the Lima are longer then the C Class Silver Fox model, see pics. I have worked on ignoring this for the moment. But will have to face up to the problem eventually. The chassis is not glued at the moment, I just wanted to get the main components to fit together first. But I am happy with how it has gone so far.

IMAG1389.jpg

IMAG1333.jpg

IMAG1350.jpg

IMAG1351.jpg

IMAG1353.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

IMAG1386.jpg

Thanks, Killucan, I intend on making a few of these and a few A Class too. I'll be at the Stillorgan fair in Feb with a Vernier.

Another problem I have to think about is how to secure the body to the chassis, I don't want to glue them to allow me to work on it, fitting lights or DCC in the future.

Any Ideas welcome.

I think someone once said that John at Silverfox uses Copydex to secure the bodies. I know the body of my A class was well secured with whatever he used, yet prised away easily and cleanly when I wanted to remove the body. I'm sure John would advise you over the phone, if you want to be certain.....

I don't really want to waste the Class 25 Diesel so I think I'll crack on with it for the C Class, but my next one will be a HO Donner.

Ok, I'm suffering from a lack of raw materials, mostly paint and decals. I have done a inventory check on what I have accumulated with a view to chopping into Irish, with a view to getting the materials needed to complete them. For now, here are the engines:

To become 800's

IMAG1420.jpg

To become Class 400 or 500IMAG1412.jpg

IMAG1403.jpg

IMAG1399.jpg

IMAG1408.jpg

And a few more:

To become a J19

IMAG1416.jpg

This is a little gem of an engine, I'm not sure what to do with it yet, if anyone has any ideas let me know, otherwise it's going up for sale..

IMAG1424.jpg

same for this one:

IMAG1419.jpg

I'll do the Diesel's tomorrow. Must go and ring in the New Year, Have a good One :tumbsup:

The photo's below show a rake of Dapol ventilated vans I put together over the Christmas. I've just been looking at a view threads on here and I know now these need a lot more work. Also the break-van is nothing like anything that ever ran on Irish soil. I intend on chopping it to suit. IMAG1429.jpg

IMAG1435.jpg

IMAG1428.jpg

Plenty to keep you busy there for a while! It's all down to time and money, and I ain't got much of either at the moment!:(( The big thing for me this year is that I've claimed a bit of space in the house as a workbench, so I can leave a couple of projects out and tinker with them as time permits. Like you, over the christmas I took a look a what I've accumulated over the past couple of years, and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in now!

I'm not familiar with the steam era at all, but will be looking forward to how you proceed with the various builds! Love the c class by the way.

Here's a few cottages I've been working on. They are based on the rows of cottages that can be seen in the back streets of any of Ireland's cities. I drew them on AutoCAD and then simply shrunk them on the PC to 1:76 and then printed the drawings. they are a simple construction, using a wood frame with Wills material used for the roof doors and windows. I would really like to improve the road surface, if you have any ideas, please let me know. Many Thanks. IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0599.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg

Re road surfaces- one tip I read somewhere was to use a very fine grade sandpaper, sprayed to the colour you desire. I've tried it a couple of times with mixed results. In a large yard setting it looked quite good, but on a roadway it still looked a bit too coarse.

Hi Leo, I think your Airfix scot will be OK for an 800 (though the mainline rebuilt patriots in my opinion are easier especially vis a vis the cab). The blue King I wouldn't attempt as the motion is too simple and the other locos for 400 and 500s ..... better with Replica/Bachmann B1 for the 500s (irish B1 too coincidentally) and ditto for the 400s or as | have used the older Hornby King arthurs . I think you'll be giving yourself a lot of xtra work. The two airfix engines royal Scot and the 4f I'd keep and sell the rest to finance easier choices.

Thanks for the comments and advice, all helpful. I'm still learning.

This site really is a treasure trove of information.

The only brake van I've seen with any sort of a platform, had a platform on one end, I think it was from the Sligo line.

Did any other Irish brake vans have external platforms?

The only ones I know of, Rialto, were built by the NCC and several lasted into UTA and NIR days. One of these is preserved at Downpatrick, though if you choose to model it, bear in mind the livery on it currently is completely wrong. I don't think the MGWR / GS had any with outside balconies, which would mean you wouldn't have got one on the Sligo line, unless there was so e sort of one-off I'm kit aware of, maybe on the SLNCR. Any SLNCR ones I've ever seen pics of have internal balconies or none, and in any event they would have been confined to that line.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Gents, I have been tipping away at a cut and shut to produce a Spray Train coach, the small one. I used an old beat up English coach, a few photos below. It still needs some sanding with wet-and-dry paper before painting. I have yet to decide on a colour scheme. From photos I have seen there were two schemes. All orange, and yellow with a gray roof. The gray roof looks like it had three roof-lights. can anyone tell me era these colour scheme are from. also the all orange scheme had decals on one side that included a CIE circle these might be hard to get in the right colour and the right text.

Thanks Achill,

So my questions are -

1. what is the era of the two colour schemes?

2. what was the actual text on the side of the orange coach, along with the broken circle?

3. Can anyone supply decals for the text and broken circle?

Thanks for any help

Leo

Leo

Do you mean brake vans?

All grey until mid sixties. Then, the duckets start getting black areas above and below them, and yellow and black stripes on the protruding bit. This is about the time the roundel is replacing the snail.

Brown always had the black bits and stripes, and obviously snails were long gone when brown starts, about 1970. The odd grey van could be seen until about 1973/4.

He means weedspray crew vans....I'm sure??

As you can see from the black and tan shot of 169 (?) it's been around in yellow a long while and fading to salmon pink ever since. 638a is listed as converted TPO 2771 into a dormer coach for the weedspray set, based at Dublin Heuston. (I think that should be 2971?)

CIVIL ENGINEERING - MAINTENANCE OF WAY, with SPEED 50 MPH MAX., running numbers 638A, and CIE broken wheel logo.

and later

INFRASTRUCTURE PROTECTION

1941417_10203561570030488_5281126466517505856_o.jpg

3036686_4be6a60d.jpg

c035-638A-Heuston.jpg

DSCF0022.JPG

P1.jpg

Weedspary_train_at_Mallow_5_on_160405.JPG

Studio Scale Models does them. http://www.studio-scale-models.com/TFreight.shtml#

Weedspray Rake (F13) €9

HTH

Richie.

I thought it looked like a 4w sorting van conversion. great photos, Richie, very informative. Knew very little about these before this thread

Excellent work! Great layout.

Yes, agree with jb, nice layout!

.... converted TPO 2771 into a dormer coach for the weedspray set, based at Dublin Heuston. (I think that should be 2971?)

Yes, 4w sorting van/TPO 2971 would be correct

Edited by DiveController

He means weedspray crew vans....I'm sure??

Ah....I see. Can't be sure of numbers but at least one was in orange initially and another in yellow. Roofs of both were black. Chassis on the orange one was body colour. I'm not sure whether the yellow one had a yellow chassis or not - it might have been black.

Lettering etc. as shown.