Guinness Liner

Rate this question

201bhoy

Question

I'm quite interested in the Guinness Liners that ran up until relatively recently, about 2006 I think (?), because although they didn't stop running until that long ago, there doesn't seem to be that many photos of videos of them. Where did they go to? I know they ran from the sidings in Heuston to North Esk, Adelaide, Claremorris and Waterford. Anywhere else? Does anyone have any photos of the guinness yard in Heuston or Claremorris in particular? Or any information of the running of the liner in general?

31 answers to this question

Here's the very last Guinness liner departing claremorris in June 05 I think. A well known west of Ireland railway man captured in this scene too!

image.jpg

A few more from Claremorris of the liner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here the Guinness loco arrives LE from Ballina to attach to the liner parked in the siding. Note the Norfolk hauled by 141s and the branch set with 134&185!

image.jpg

Here's the very last Guinness liner departing claremorris in June 05 I think. A well known west of Ireland railway man captured in this scene too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11043[/ATTACH]

A few more from Claremorris of the liner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11044[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11049[/ATTACH]

Here the Guinness loco arrives LE from Ballina to attach to the liner parked in the siding. Note the Norfolk hauled by 141s and the branch set with 134&185!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11046[/ATTACH]

The layout at Claremorris was extensively re-modelled for the Knock Pilgrimage traffic in the 1940s, locomotive shed demolished and a through platform road added from the Tuam Line, East and West signal cabins an yard ground frame closed with new central cabin. Turntable from Glanmire road added to allow turning of Woolwich Moguls.

The 1996 OSI ortho view should show the layout before the junction with the Tuam line was "rationaised"

I am very interested in the Guinness liners too. I know that the up and down liners between Heuston and Waterford used to cross in Kilkenny during the night. The up liner used to arrive first and pick up some wagons from the freight siding in Kilkenny and shunt the bogied stock to the front of the train. The down liner would then arrive, allowing the north bound train to depart. It would then drop off wagons to be loaded with kegs of Budweiser from the Smithicks brewery, shunt the bogied wagons to the front of the train and continue to Waterford. Lots of excitement compared to what Kilkenny is like nowadays. Towards the end of the flow, the train would only run as far as Kilkenny with locos travelling light engine between Dublin and Kilkenny to pick up the train at Kilkenny or return to Dublin after dropping off the train at Kilkenny. Some brilliant pics above but I'm afraid I have none to contribute.

Lads,

Southern Yard, thanks a mil for the photos, pure class and great to have for the record.

As you may know, the 42' bogie flat is being developed at the moment as part of the Ammonia Rake. I also propose to sell the 42' as a seperate item with the option of a full load of guinness beer cages and beer loads. More detail anon.

Here are a few more! This liner was a favourite of mine and gave real character to the railway. When I moved back to Claremorris in 2005 this traffic along with the Norfolk, timber and loco hauled branch services meant for some interesting summer evenings. The liners did operate 5 days a week but went back to 3 days a week towards the end. The Guinness loco's used to be stabled in claremorris overnight but towards the end went to ballina as a taxi to bring the drivers home. IE couldn't wait to get rid of this traffic along with their general rundown of freight thus yards like claremorris once a hive of activity at now silent and disconnected from the network like so many other yards. What we're left with is a disgrace and a sad reflection of IE mgmt and government policy in our boom years. Anyways rant over!

Here's an unusual double header. Note the calling on signal above the 071.

image.jpg

Guinness loco's stabled on the ballinrobe branch siding with rolling stock:

image.jpg

View from the bridge of the evening service to Westport about to depart hauled by an 071 with mk3s. The Guinness liner would depart once the passenger had departed. A ballast is stabled on Tuam bay.

image.jpg

This view taken from where the lines to Westport and Sligo diverged shows 4 loco's in view with the Guinness liner on the left about to be made up, an 071 on the ballina branch and next to it the loco from the ballast train parked on the right. Out of sight in this photo is another 141 with the weedsprayer. Quiet a collection for a Thursday evening in the summer of 2005:

image.jpg

Here's a view from across the field of the Guinness loco's facing wrong direction before running around:

image.jpg

For anyone looking to model Claremorris layout pre rationalisation here's a photo of the station layout board in the signal cabin. This was after the cabin closed and the signal man restored the board to its original form showing all points and signals that were controlled by the 66 lever frame showing the 5 radiating lines:

image.jpg

Edited by Southern Yard

Again, superb photos!!!! Any of the goods yard itself? I'm raging with myself, I used to go from Belmullet to Galway regularly back then, passing right by Claremorris, but never thought to visit the station, as I thought it would be an average provincial station :(

Didn't those liners run up to Dundalk yard and Belfast. I remember seeing the liner on Friday afternoons between Howth Junction and Killester heading for Northwall. Sometimes towards the end they would have a few bubble cements attached, I assume picked up in Drogheda.

Did that 071/141 double header actually haul the liner' date=' or was it just part of a shunt?[/quote']

The 141 loco was taken off the ballast train and was being hauled back to Inchicore by 079 for a service-normally returning a night or two later to work the ballast for another week,

Great photos Paul-and for me excellent memories.

Didn't those liners run up to Dundalk yard and Belfast. I remember seeing the liner on Friday afternoons between Howth Junction and Killester heading for Northwall. Sometimes towards the end they would have a few bubble cements attached, I assume picked up in Drogheda.

Yeah, I think there was a Guinness distribution point behind Tesco, a couple of hundred metres up from the main Adelaide freight yard. I remember seeing lorries there, and the trains running past my house in the middle of the night... how things have changed :(

I seem to remember the Dundalk liner outlasting the Belfast one, remember it used to get into Dublin circa 16:00. Used to be an interesting afternoon freight procession on the northern line with the up and down Taras, the liner and a cement. Used be a regular 141 turn in it's later days from memory, sometimes only a few wagons.

I remember when I was about twelve watching what to my eyes seemed to an enormous train arriving in Dundalk from Belfast, a 201 hauling a combination of kegs, cement bubbles and containers, shunting the keg flats off on arrival. Different times indeed.

I remember when I was about twelve watching what to my eyes seemed to an enormous train arriving in Dundalk from Belfast, a 201 hauling a combination of kegs, cement bubbles and containers, shunting the keg flats off on arrival. Different times indeed.

Where did they shunt the liner? Barrack street?

There is a set of over 100 Claremorris views in 2003 & 2005 in my Irish Flickr Collection

I particularly liked the use of the Ballina branch 071 class to shunt the Guinness wagons from the unloading siding to the headshunt, sometimes with the Cravens etc still attached. Shunting could get quite involved as bogie wagons had to be placed at the front of the set with the 4 wheelers at the rear.

Ernie