Orange 201's

Rate this question

Seanw12

Question

There are 10 orange 201s in long term storage in Inchicore. Basically they are being stripped of parts for the rest of the fleet and are being left to rot. That's 201-205 and 210-214. 216,225 and 230 are withdrwan too.

were they withdrawn in any order or just as they were due a service or failed?

Some were withdrawn as they failed. Either 210 or 212 blew a piston rod threw the body work. 214 failed to start somewhere and was hauled back to Inchicore and withdrawn. As far as I know 214 was the last orange 201 in service.

Although in the IC livery 215 was withdrawn for a few months but managed to escape Inchicore only to be replaced by 216 which was then stripped of alot of parts.

You'd think they could have saved a few of the non push-pulls 201s and designated them to freight and maybe a couple of RPSI specials!

They have surplus pp 201s to requirements as it is. Even now they are not bothered to fix up and return 216, 225 and 230 to service. If they won't touch the pp locos, the standards have no chance. I would love to see a 201 in the new slate grey livery though.

They have surplus pp 201s to requirements as it is. Even now they are not bothered to fix up and return 216, 225 and 230 to service. If they won't touch the pp locos, the standards have no chance. I would love to see a 201 in the new slate grey livery though.

It just seems like CIE have no ambitions with regards to future freight flows when they might need more locos. Another thing I've wondered is why they crapped the 201s instead of some of the 071s? Obviously it's an advantage to us enthusiasts, but surely it would make more sense to scrap some of the 071s, an older loco?

It has been a sad sight to see how many locos have been withdrawn in recent times, and with the stored 201's now looking like they could fall into that category it is looking like the end of an era. I can't say I could have foreseen this happening in the mid 90's to mid 2000's. Cravens, MK11's, MK111's, a huge downturn in freight. The railway certainly seems a lot less interesting to enthusiasts these day's. I find it hard to even find anything worth photographing on the rails now.

Rich,

The scary thing is 201 and 202 were the first 2 201s put in storage and they went in mid December '08. 205 had to come back out for a few months to help out on liners as there was a shortage of working 071s in mid '09. 204,212 and 214 were the last working orange 201s. 204 being withdrawn only a few weeks before the last which was 214 that failed to start in Ballina yard in August of '09. It was hauled to Inchicore by 078 (of all locos :D) with a few empty timber wagons to act as brake force.

It just seems like CIE have no ambitions with regards to future freight flows when they might need more locos. Another thing I've wondered is why they crapped the 201s instead of some of the 071s? Obviously it's an advantage to us enthusiasts, but surely it would make more sense to scrap some of the 071s, an older loco?

071's are simpler, less prone to break down, cheaper to run and lighter

Found this on Irish railway News

Nov 25 13 11:01 PM

GM233 wrote:

206-209,215,217-224,226-229,231-234 are in traffic from the 22 I.E and 2 NIR push pull fleet. Three are stopped, 225 with collision damage partially repaired before work being suspended, 216 stored heavily cannibalised for spare parts, 230 severe fire damage. I can't see 225 or 230 being repaired but wouldn't bet against parts from 230 being used to put 216 back in traffic. 201-205, 210-214 are in varying states, most are heavily vandalised and bogies have been swapped to keep the active fleet going, some such as 210 were withdrawn due to major failures (it suffered a serious engine failure shortly after leaving Heuston heading to Waterford when a piston came out through the crankcase

http://irishrailwaynews.com/topic/484/201-Watch?page=183#.UsgsN02Ybcc

214 that failed to start in Ballina yard in August of '09. It was hauled to Inchicore by 078 (of all locos :D) with a few empty timber wagons to act as brake force.

Just to clarify the above point-214 was hauled back to Inchicore from Ballina on 14/08/09 by loco 152 which had operated light engine the previous day having hauled back failed 082 from Ballina on 11/08/09,

Accident damaged 225 was hauled back from Roscommon station up siding by 078 with six empty bogie timber wagons behind 225 to act as brake force as 225s braking system was damaged...:tumbsup:

great thread lads and thanks for the info. if and when all the 201's go - i will not only miss them for their looks, but that engine sound when powering up....:drool:

You'd be one of the few to miss their sound. I hate the sound of them screaming away on HEP in Connolly. The best sounding 201s though were 220 and 233 with the silencer mods and for a short while 206 was doing a great impression of an 071 while in HEP on the Enterprise. Caught me out a few times, I when I was expecting a tara to show up.

You'd be one of the few to miss their sound. I hate the sound of them screaming away on HEP in Connolly. The best sounding 201s though were 220 and 233 with the silencer mods and for a short while 206 was doing a great impression of an 071 while in HEP on the Enterprise. Caught me out a few times, I when I was expecting a tara to show up.

While I wouldnt be the 201s biggest fan they sound better than the nondescript railcars we have and that will ultimately replace loco hauled passenger trains!

You'd be one of the few to miss their sound. I hate the sound of them screaming away on HEP in Connolly. The best sounding 201s though were 220 and 233 with the silencer mods and for a short while 206 was doing a great impression of an 071 while in HEP on the Enterprise. Caught me out a few times' date=' I when I was expecting a tara to show up.[/quote']

I love the HEP sound! I remember hearing the 201 and 071 and EGV on the Sligo or rosslare train, they used a make a wee four part harmony!

This is an interesting extract from the International risk Management Services Report on Irish rail dated April 2001

the chief mechanical Engineer has prepared a coaching stock plan which details a proposed increase in rolling stock up to 2005 including

.an overall increase of coaching stock to approximately 600 vehicles by 2005

. withdrawal of all cravens coaches by 2003

. withdrawal of mk2 coaches by 2005

. aspiration to replace withdrawn stock by displaced mk3 coaches from the uk

Edited by Ben

Extract from

External review group Report( made to Mary o Rourke dated 11 July 2001)

The way forward

Rolling stock Policy

...........the consistent view expressed by people outside of Irish Rail, is that the clear trend in rolling stock policy is away from locomotive hauled stock and towards D.M.Us . ,this experience in the uk is that these railcars are entirely satisfactory for most rail journeys .Example Virgin Uk .

...........Against the view management of Irish rail have pointed out that these high spec railcars are very expensive and that modern locomotive hauled trains have push pull capability and do not require shunting and are cheaper

...........Furthermore it is argued by Irish rail management that a submission made to the review group by a private sector tourism user of the railway, that locomotives are essential for the longer journeys because they provide higher comfort levels ,better catering facilities, provision for bicycles and other benefits

conclusion by the External Review Group

........the view however has to be balanced by national priority of providing an efficient high volume frequent passenger service rather than a luxury low volume service

I don't know, I find the 22000s quite comfortable. Certainly a far more efficient operation than that of old, much as I miss the locos and carriages. But sure that's what preservation is for at the end of the day!

But we can't even manage to preserve the most comfortable rolling stock we ever had, the Mk3s. It would have been nice to save a push pull set for 124 to haul on future rail tours. Too late now though.

But we can't even manage to preserve the most comfortable rolling stock we ever had, the Mk3s. It would have been nice to save a push pull set for 124 to haul on future rail tours. Too late now though.

there was suppost to be a push pull mk 3 going to Moyasta...now that was a while ago mind!

there was suppost to be a push pull mk 3 going to Moyasta...now that was a while ago mind!

Yeah read that a few times, but now there is only one DVT left and it's in Northwall. Most of the surviving 63xx coaches are in Dundalk from what I can tell and they will never move again the state they are in. Slim and none are the chance of saving a set now and if is was saved there is nowhere to store and look after it. Granted the RPSI now have a Mk2D so they are learning how to look after aircon stock but still.

Interesting that they used Virgin Trains as an example of comfortable railcar use. I've been on Voyagers and they're they worst mode of transport I've ever been on, and I've travelled on stuff with wooden benches for seats.

Yeah read that a few times, but now there is only one DVT left and it's in Northwall. Most of the surviving 63xx coaches are in Dundalk from what I can tell and they will never move again the state they are in. Slim and none are the chance of saving a set now and if is was saved there is nowhere to store and look after it. Granted the RPSI now have a Mk2D so they are learning how to look after aircon stock but still.

The push pulls are not air con stock. I reckon if a real will and finance was there they'd be saved. There doesn't seem to be much of the latter though.

Would be hard for a volunteer group to maintain though, esp with air-con. I don't who could have taken them either, no good to RPSI as they're airbraked.

Would have been nice but at least there's mk3s a plenty in the UK. Thankfully some of the distinct Irish stock, Laminates, Park Royals, Cravens, got preserved. But there's always ones that got away...

6105 is still around (6105 was the last carriage to assembled in Inchicore) so maybe there's a chance for it go to Moyasta. Be nice to see it preserved, but wouldn't be of much mainline use. Imagine trying to run enough enthusiast trips to fill a 6 piece mk3! Demand just wouldn't be there... and half some would just gricer it without contributing to ticket sales.

I wonder how much IE would be looking for them though? There was a thread on Boards and someone estimated the scrap value of a Mk3 to be 5-6k. Assuming this ball park figure is correct and say to look to save 3 6300s and a DVT for 24k plus the cost involved of picking the best 6300s and shunting them out of the rakes, put them on lowloaders and transport them to where ever. All before you get to even tidy them up. That's alot to money time and work for anyone.

Even if there was a Mk3 fundraiser 24k would be a big ask.

Would be hard for a volunteer group to maintain though, esp with air-con. I don't who could have taken them either, no good to RPSI as they're airbraked.

The Mk3 pp are not aircon and the RPSI have 141 and 142 so that solves the air brake issue there. I can just picture 124 with a 4 piece push pull for rail tours, with a bit of co operation with the preservation groups and IE>