Ballyfin and Danielstown

Rate this topic

cg-antrim

Try laying the model on one side and dont hold the spray can too close and build up the paint in thin layers. I sometimes blow hot air to speed up

the drying but never heat it to much or the paint will bubble & plastic will warp. If you dry brush a bit of brown over the transfers it will help to

make them blend in with the rest of the model as the white can be to clean and bright.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Nelson. I've been comparing my photos of the PW GNR brake van with yours on your workbench thread (which looks fantastic). Could you give me any advice about how you painted yours? I have been spraying with the Halfords undercoat grey (on Leslie's recommendation) which does match the stock I'll be running this with but also collects at the bottom of each side. Thanks!

I use the exact same stuff as yourself (halfords grey plastic primer), and I spray it on in maybe 4 to 6 very light coats at a fair distance away, but not too far away, the first 2 coats will make the model look absolutely rubbish but don't worry let it to dry and add another light coat on top, and repeat. then when your happy with the colour/coverage, you can stop :) hope this helps, another tip is to build most of the model up and then spray the colour you want this gives you am even smooth coating all round without unsightly different coloured joins. Looking at your vans again they are very nicely done and I don't see a problem with them, you should be proud of your models there.

Just another thing I forgot to mention is, when spraying make sure that your spraying directly onto the face/side of the model in smooth sweeping motion, this also ensures an even coverage and makes sure that the sides of the supports aren't missing any paint.

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Did you eventually solve this mystery? I didn't see a solution on the thread….:confused:

Well, believe it or not, it was a mixed batch of all new electro and insulfrog points which all came in insulfrog boxes, which I took at face value and burned the boxes before checking, so I'm stuck with them! Anyway, it creates some operational interest...