Bachmann earl class 440

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

20 answers to this question

this has got to be the most beautiful engine i have ever seen.....

Seamus, you're a lovely man, but you should go to Specsavers! They must be among the ugliest engines the GW produced!

Now, never say anything good about the Great Western, but the City which someone did a year or two back was lovely!

Leslie

Not sure what Seamus and Richie have been drinking but it must have been good stuff to imagine kitbashing a Dukedog into an Irish loco.

The best place for one is working her way along that wonderful section of north of Dovey Junction with 3-4 coaches in GWR livery or the same coaches in Carmine and Cream the Bachmann loco almost makes me want to dust off my Dean Goods and Standard Class 4 and ditch my Irish stuff.

A Hornby Schools would probably be a better starting point for a 345 particulary with their Schools style chimney, the NCC had some really elegant 2-4-0 with curly outside frame that survived into the 30s (in fully lined Midland red) the Bachmann chassis would probably do but probably easiest to scratchbuild a body.

this has got to be the most beautiful engine i have ever seen.....

Seamus, you're a lovely man, but you should go to Specsavers! They must be among the ugliest engines the GW produced!

I think this wins the prize for butt ugly GWR.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/GWR_Dean's_ten-wheeled_goods_engine_(Howden,_Boys'_Book_of_Locomotives,_1907).jpg

Not sure what Seamus and Richie have been drinking but it must have been good stuff to imagine kitbashing a Dukedog into an Irish loco.

I swear, not even upbaptized whiskey passed my lips. She's a really inelegant loco, all function and no form. Nora batty of the kettle world, sort of....

Depends on the angle of view. Was this the same loco as the Dukedog class? Bluebell railway has the preserved one. Or was it the class that came before and spawned the 1930s rebuild that became the Dukedogs?

However, not a patch on a GNR S, or indeed those dainty 4-4-0s that ran to Achilles and Clifden? Brought up on LNER types, the more I learn about Irish locos, the more smitten I become...

Can't think of anything comparable in Ireland though and suspect even Scotsman would struggle to make something of it. But you never know...

However, not a patch on a GNR S, or indeed those dainty 4-4-0s that ran to Achilles and Clifden? ...

That would be the MGWR's D16 class, of which there were six, all rebuilt about 1901 from former 2.4.0s which were built in 1882. So synonymous with the Achill line, they were often referred to as "Achill bogies". They occasionally worked into Ballina after the Achill line shut, but were quickly withdrawn as they were too weak to do much else in other places.

They didn't actually get to Clifden, as far as is known. That line was the preserve of G2 2.4.0 and J18 0.6.0 types.

With the wild western turf, sky, river and mountain scenery, an Achill or Clifden based layout would be a winner!

The Earl's were "built" in the 1930s by sticking a Duke boiler on a Bulldog chassis to provide an engine light enough to work on the Cambrian. The first rebuild 3265 Tre Pol and Pen kept its Duke number and Cornish name, the remainder were to be named after GWR directors who were Earls but they a were not impressed and the names given to a batch of Castles instead.

As JHB said the GSWR & GSR had small wheeled 4-4-0s with outside framed bogies which were used on the Cork-Rosslare & DSER main line. While it might be possible to use the Bachmann chassis block and bogie, the body would have to be scratch built, the Irish locos had larger high pitched boilers and modern canopy cabs, but the biggest challenge would be in replacing the Bachmann driving wheels and outside cranks with normal driving wheels.

Hopefully Hornby or Bachmann will at some stage bring out a LNWR Precedent or Jumbo which would be a good basis for quite a few Irish 2-4-0 types

Edited by Mayner

This may be a little obscure, and Mayner reminded me of it and might be one of the few who might know; but there was a firm about 40 years ago in England called "K's kits" or "K's" something, who made white metal kits of a wide range in British loco prototypes. By today's standards they looked perhaps a little crude, but they had a big range of them, often of prototypes ignored by the lines of Hornby.

I never bought any, but I had several of their catalogues. Thus, while I cannot be certain, I believe they relied on the buyer to either build or buy a suitable chassis - certainly they weren't suitable for all modelling skill levels.

Perhaps if any of those can be tracked down, there might be something in there that would suit as an Irish prototype. It was Mayner's post above which reminded me that they did do several LNWR prototypes.

there was a firm about 40 years ago in England called "K's kits" or "K's" something, who made white metal kits of a wide range in British loco prototypes. By today's standards they looked perhaps a little crude, but they had a big range of them, often of prototypes ignored by the lines of Hornby.

We have discussed this before - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/188-K-s-00-scale-white-metal-locomotive-kits-(1970s) .

yeah...you are right there minister - the mother-in-laws ass looks much better!!!

thanks for the comments lads but i still think she a beautiful engine and as dunluse said - check out the black weathered version:drool: