CIE Park Royal Surburban Coaches

Rate this topic

Kirley

I'm surprised no-one has said anything before as the new models were announced just before Christmas - also being produced this year is the 4w heating van.

I keep reading what might be termed derogatory comments about Tom's models - I got a pair of magnesite wagons for Christmas - very pleased with them.

Stephen

I think critical would be a better word than derogatory.

Some members were unhappy with the weed spray train last year and, unfortunately, Tom seems to have taken his leave from the site rather than engage in discussion.

I got a weeds prayer myself from him and think its excellent, he also produced a full Tara mines rake for me which is stunning.

I bought 6 cement wagon kits from him last year and found them to be

top notch.I was given the option of a dapol chassis as well to buy,or I

could have used my own prestwin chassis.I have more cement wagons

on order and found IFM very good to deal with,and always got a email

reply when needed.My work bench shows the wagons in their finished

state.I used the Dapol rtr chassis for them and find the nem sockets

very handy for putting in my kadees

Good work Eamonn. What are the dimensions of the wagon bodies in mm. Are they prototypically correct, or are they designed specifically to fit a Dapol chassis.

Rich,

I will check when out in the shed again Rich.

I did compare them and the rtr and prestwin are same

Dimensions,but the prestwin seems to be more correct for

a Irish angle.

By the time I was interested in the Irish Rail scene the Park Royal's were a no go in Kerry. Did have a trip on them on the Limerick Shuttle but don't remember much about them. What is the difference between the mainline and suburban versions?

The Wanderer.

The main line had toilets, the suburban had bench seats with their backs to windows in the vestibule compartment at each end.

Some of the suburban variants had toilets retrofitted in time. Of the preserved ones 1419 is a mainline example, 1416 survived into preservation but was sadly destroyed by arson in the mid-2000s.

I think the pair at Clonakilty came off the last set active set.

• 5 months later...

The Park Royals were very smooth riding 1st journey in one was out to Bray during school holidays late 60s, Mallow-Killarney during the late 80s possibly early 90s.

Up to the mid80s a uniform rake of Park Royals or Cravens for that matter would have been unusual, up to wide spread introduction of MK3s intercity sets were often made up of a mixture of TL wired Cravens, Park Royal,Laminate and older stock.

Some of the suburban variants had toilets retrofitted in time. Of the preserved ones 1419 is a mainline example, 1416 survived into preservation but was sadly destroyed by arson in the mid-2000s.

I think the pair at Clonakilty came off the last set active set.

THanks - good info to know:tumbsup: