Static grass generator

Rate this topic

Dave

Thought I would show you guys a cheap option for a static grass generator. I know there cheaper alternatives out there but this has the equivalent power output of the Noch that retails at €150, built for less than €50!

I used a negative ion generator and powered it with 12v DC from a transformer. Bought a tea strainer for small areas and a sieve for larger areas, and they work a treat!

2014-01-12 17.30.21.jpg

2014-01-12 17.29.26.jpg

2014-01-12 17.28.02.jpg

2014-01-12 17.30.46.jpg

The smaller/cheaper versions do indeed work well and are well worth considering. A puffer bottle is also still good for tight corners. The full size static grass machine undoubtedly covers quicker and its higher charger is better [in my experience] for longer fibres. However, in 4mm scale, they are not as useful, so unless you are contemplating large areas or working in 7mm scale, the tea strainer type is well worth having. Quite simply, nothing gets close and such devices have moved scenic work to a new level. One day, maybe all layouts will be done this way!

Hi Dave,

I didn't fancy the big outlay for the Noch applicator either, but thats a great alternative. Very effective looking static grass. Will it do the longer fibers too? Say if someone wanted to model crops/rough grass in OO?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Yes it will do the long fibres you would need a larger mesh for it to work well. I found it hard to justify the price for the Noch and others even though I will be using it a lot.

• 8 months later...
Thought I would show you guys a cheap option for a static grass generator. I know there cheaper alternatives out there but this has the equivalent power output of the Noch that retails at €150, built for less than €50!

I used a negative ion generator and powered it with 12v DC from a transformer. Bought a tea strainer for small areas and a sieve for larger areas, and they work a treat!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11356[/ATTACH]

This fantastic Dave. Where did you get the 'negative ion generator'? Was it out of an air purifier? So glad I searched this forum for 'static grass'. Having watched some Everard Junction videos, static grass seems the way to go. The timing of this is great. Where do you source your static grass material?