CC1's Frames

Rate this topic

Jawfin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But do you think they will leave the station and yard at Mullingar in the state it is?Or do you think they will rebuild it to some extent? Surely the secondry base of the RPSI would need to be in resonable shape. When talking to one of the station workers he said the athlone waiting room roof was ready to cave in.He wasnt so sure about the shed but said that the turntable might be fixed up.

I'd really love to know what they were thinking. Were they all a bunch of mad lefties with a chip on their shoulders against classical training or what??

That recent shot has not a jot of aesthetic worth. A big, unfocussed concourse, something Corbusier would have left behind on bog roll after a 10 pint exertion.

Glenderg, we need your input!!

I'd really love to know what they were thinking. Were they all a bunch of mad lefties with a chip on their shoulders against classical training or what??

That recent shot has not a jot of aesthetic worth. A big, unfocussed concourse, something Corbusier would have left behind on bog roll after a 10 pint exertion.

having used Euston as a commuter for a brief period it was pretty bad from a usability standpoint too. Everyone would stand in the middle, watch the board and then run down narrow corridors for their respective train. Like a load of steaks into a mincer!

I think in the 60s they hired the same architect for everything.They must have hated(for some terrible reason)the fine architecture of the victorians.Lokks like art deco that just lost even a hint of decoration.really just looks like a big box:((

That was architectural thinking worldwide, tear down the old and construct something 'new' and 'bold'. Look at what replaced NYC's classically inspired Penn Station...you used to be able to detrain and enter NYC like a king, after they tore it down, you scrambled out of a concrete 'thing' more like a rat coming out of a sewer.

That was architectural thinking worldwide, tear down the old and construct something 'new' and 'bold'. Look at what replaced NYC's classically inspired Penn Station...you used to be able to detrain and enter NYC like a king, after they tore it down, you scrambled out of a concrete 'thing' more like a rat coming out of a sewer.

So so true:ROFL:

So are you saying this could be a new highly efficient steam engine?

Yes

One example in North Wales railway- a restoration of a narrow gauge loco had an all welded firebox and boiler installed, the design was based on the traditional fire tube principal without a water tube firebox and boiler, and it incorporated some modern design concepts- it is written that when they completed the loco it exceeded all expatiations by maintaining full boiler pressure for over an hour on two domestic-sized buckets of coal- when running, pulling a large load they don't carry coal they just stoke up at the end of each hour run.

If the water tube system was used efficiency would be greater again! but this construction moves to far away from the loco's original design and was not used- heritage loco. And there is one problem for the modern system! most guys working in this field are historical groups and stay within the loco's original design, implementing some modern concepts for; efficiency, safety and ease of use, but staying within a historical control.

If a modern oil burning system was used or the instant steam system I mention above- thing would only get better...

I believe in the States some of the loco restorations are implementing oil and gas burning systems, the 'Big Boy' I believe is one? It would be interesting to see data on the efficiency now and back in its day to see what kind of improvement has been done. Though with this loco its power to weight ratio is crazy and they are working with old style tech and its not new!

In my discussions on the instant steam boiler system it was estimated that the loco could run full time for one week on two large domestic cylinders of gas. A number of assumptions were made here as the full system was not designed and we were only looking at theory and viability.

Eoin

Probably was, but what was lacking then was disposable income (when people were packing emigrant boats) and a general interest in industrial heritage in the population (true both back then and now)

My recollection of growing up in the 60s was a lot more positive. People were migrating from rural areas, but finding work in the cities rather than having to take the emigrant boat

On the down side there was a real sense that the railways were a thing of the past, dis-satisfaction with CIE for its poor service and frequent strikes drove people away from public transport and companies to develop their own transport fleets.

Classical architecture and steam railway were at odds with an era where people wanted to throw off the baggage of the past. This was especially so in the Republic, the ending of an era of isolation and protectionism lead to increased prosperity lead to a form of "Cultural Revolution" a questioning of authority and the status quo. Including class, politics, architecture, art music, fashion Ireland had finally arrived in the 20th Century.