Sign in to follow this  
Mayner

Tales from the carriage shops

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Happy New Year everyone, however you say in it your language!

Leslie

“Bom nua felicade”, or something, according to Junior’s Portuguese-speaking girlfriend.....!

The Provincial guards Van is especially useful. Up to now, we’ve had the CIE one, but nothing from pre-1960. Repainted BR vans just aren’t the same. 

Then Provincial brought in the GNR one - superb! But this is suitable for GNR, UTA and NIR, as very few of these ended up with CIE, and those that did were replaced very quickly, so they’re hardly suitable for, say, a layout based somewhere down south after 1960.

Now we have the GSWR and GNR vans for pre-1960-ish, and the standard CIE one for later.

Great thanks are due, therefore, to Leslie, SSM and others.

It might be pointed out, though, that while CIE standardised on their 30T and 20T vans after 1960, in the 1950s and earlier there were quite a variety of vans, not just of GSWR origin, but also GSR, MGWR, DSER, CBSCR and even one Timoleague & Courtmacsherry van which appears to have survived in use until 1961. 

Then Provincial brought in the GNR one - superb! But this is suitable for GNR, UTA and NIR, as very few of these ended up with CIE, and those that did were replaced very quickly,......

Dead right, Jon, but not before John Dewing took that wonderful photo of 184 in her green livery pulling a transfer freight over Islandbridge Jct, with a GNR van right behind the engine. 

Those GN vans had a working life akin to the BR Standard steam locos - a lot of them didn't survive to celebrate their 21st!

Aargh.... that was fifty one  years ago - GN steam had ended and the World was about to end..........  

yet I'm still here (by the Grace of God) and I've packed an enormous amount of steam running into the time between (in over two dozen countries)

Regarding the GA brake vans, I recall seeing one in Tralee about  1966 or 1967. It came in on the afternoon Cork Tralee goods which at the time I recall was often powered by a Sulzer.