Model Railroad Planning

Rate this topic

StevieB

Every year about this time Model Railroader publishes its annual Model Railroad Planning magazine. Not that I am into railways across the pond, but there is always some good stuff in it, once you get used to the differences between them and us e.g. railways, language, etc. Once there was a piece about the design of pointwork to get rid of buffer locking, etc, not that American rolling stock has any, and I have applied its principles in the design of my layout which is slowly beginning to emerge. Unfortunately, we are only at the baseboard stage!

Stephen

Every year about this time Model Railroader publishes its annual Model Railroad Planning magazine. Not that I am into railways across the pond, but there is always some good stuff in it, once you get used to the differences between them and us e.g. railways, language, etc. Once there was a piece about the design of pointwork to get rid of buffer locking, etc, not that American rolling stock has any, and I have applied its principles in the design of my layout which is slowly beginning to emerge. Unfortunately, we are only at the baseboard stage!

Stephen

Any chance of a few pics of the layout, even if it is only at early stages? Always interesting to see a layout develop!

I can add a +1 to this. Well worth a look for those who are looking to embark on a new layout build. And it's not just basement empires either, there are some nice layout ideas for smaller sizes. We can learn a lot from modellers of all different backgrounds and apply them in an Irish context.

I can add a +1 to this. Well worth a look for those who are looking to embark on a new layout build. And it's not just basement empires either, there are some nice layout ideas for smaller sizes. We can learn a lot from modellers of all different backgrounds and apply them in an Irish context.

Totally agree. I buy the occasional issue of 'Model Railroader'. They have an interesting approach across the water in how they do things. Plenty for us all to learn from. Particularly like the way they do scenery, especially for port/industrial sidings on Layout. Their current project 'Rice Harbour' comes to mind.

Some of those 'basment empires' are pretty epic alright. Some serious $$$$$$$'s thrown at them!!!

• 1 month later...

Having once had a (small) G scale garden railway, I'm still interested in such things. Some of the American ones have to be seen to be believed. There are numerous YouTube clips showing things like a "Big Boy" hauling over 100 freight cars. I don't think that would even fit in my garden, let alone get a run round.