What are you watching now?

Rate this topic

heirflick

I've a pain in me Jacksie looking at it!

This should sort it, Dave... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anusol

Regarding 'All Quiet on the Western Front', the book is one of the best I've read... a poignant juxtaposition to another good read, 'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Junger, a true account which deals more with the German officer's sense of glory and honour even in the trenches.

I have a book here written by Erwin Rommel (yip him) called Infantry Attacks, which is quite eye opening in terms of the bunker happy ethos of the french, and the sneaky methodical ethos of the Germans, so well highlighted some 20 years later. Uncompromising in terms descriptions of kill numbers, and then the humanity right after. Another one to jar the senses would be An Intimate History of Killing in the 20th Century by Joanna Burke, in particular the stories of what Irish men were capable of when "annoyed" with trench warfare.

Good heavens, just what did 200,000+ annoyed paddies with guns get up to ???

To quote page 107 of the Joanna Burke's book Des,

"In the words of Father William Doyle of the 8th Dublin: "We should have more prisoners, only a hot-blooded Irishman is a dangerous customer when he gets behind a bayonet and wants to let daylight through everybody"

Pretty much sums up a lot of the stories.

any reason they picked the stuka over other allied aircraft?

According to Rudel, it was his plane of choice, right to the very end, and with 513 tanks removed, he seems to have known what he was talking about.

There's a bit in the book where he mentions being shot down yet again - and it was for the thirtieth time, but he only mentions the interesting ones...

He was never shot down by another aircraft, always ground-fire.

I haven't had that many punctures!

Ahh, got the Airfix 1/24th scale Stuke for my 13th birthday. I was almost sick with excitement. The detail! Glass sight in the floor, glass crosshairs on the end of fthe machine gun with a working spherical pivoit in the canopy. Oh the humanity....

Thanks for teh detail on teh bayonet happy irishmen, jaysus, one can only imagine.

Ahh, got the Airfix 1/24th scale Stuke for my 13th birthday. I was almost sick with excitement. The detail! Glass sight in the floor, glass crosshairs on the end of fthe machine gun with a working spherical pivoit in the canopy. Oh the humanity....

Thanks for teh detail on teh bayonet happy irishmen, jaysus, one can only imagine.

I have one in stock here - it's a monster, alright..

02.jpg

now thats a class piece of aircraft! ..are the mechanics gone to lunch? - they shouldnt really leave a girl like her half stripped! can you zoom in on the pic on her side?

That's not mine, mine's still in the box - just to give an idea of the size...