Trains delayed after group ‘on drugs’ smash windows, pull emergency brake & run off

Rate this topic

While I understand the frustration and desire to teach thugs like these a lesson by giving them a taste of their own medicine, it's unfair to expect the passengers to confront them, especially if they're high on drugs. Doing so could have led to an even more serious situation.

All sorts of bulletin boards occasionally have posts to which people react on how they would deal with the matter in hand. Some would slaughter culprits en masse, in as unprintable a way possible, others would witter on about their rights to be treated as human beings, their unfortunate circumstances, and how we should all give everyone respect and a chance.

Twice in the last few days I have seen (in one case two, in another case four or five) drug-fuelled, mobile-twitching gentlemen travelling on the Red Line. To describe them as scum, pond life or bottom feeders would do a great, or even actionable, disservice to small bodies of water and films on their surfaces.

Naturally, they were so engrossed in their texting (to find their next hit?) that they appeared to inadvertently forget to pay a fare. The group of 4 or 5 were ejected by the bouncers at Smithfield; the other two were left alone as there were no bouncers on that service.

Can we ban them from owning mobiles or using public transport? No, they have rights. In banning them from transport, can we prevent them from leaving their own street? No; they have rights.

With regard to the two extremes of opinion mentioned in the first sentence, I'm with the first lot. A permanent ban from all posting boards for me would follow even an outline of what I feel is an appropriate way to deal with such citizens......

Rant over....

The appropriate action would, of course, be for the culprits to be quickly removed from society to a place of detention. However it seems they are now out on bail to repeat their behaviour at their convenience and cause further disruption wherever they please.

Something else tonight - possibly a similar event - Irish Rail Tweeted "Apologies to all customers onboard the 17:55hrs service from Heuston to Newbridge. Gardai are investigating"...

I normally get this train home from work every day but I was slightly delayed today so got the 18.10 instead which seems to be a bit of luck! Anyone know what happened?

The appropriate action would, of course, be for the culprits to be quickly removed from society to a place of detention. However it seems they are now out on bail to repeat their behaviour at their convenience and cause further disruption wherever they please.

a few lashes of the Birch wouldt go astray there!