29000 New Livery

Rate this topic

That's a lovely bit of respraying / kitbashing by Driver301 and Tara Junction. Those British DMU's make a very passable 29000 it must be said, whether its N or OO gauge. Top stuff lads :tumbsup:

Now for my two cents worth.... I really did like the Lime/navy/white Commuter livery. It was very distinctive and I don't mean that in a bad way. Even weathered up and unwashed (as they tend to be when in service) it still looked bright. The new Livery looks very dark, over time it'll look dowdy. Not good for enticing customers.

It is possible to change a livery without throwing the baby out with the bathwater! For example the change from 'Supertrain' to 'IE', The brighter orange and black/white lining freshened things up. No need for a complete re-paint.

But if indeed it is time for a new livery, at least make some effort. I mean it is quiet lame. Not to mention yet another livery that IE's fleet is running.... are we up to number 7, 8 liveries now???

There was some comment on UK liveries earlier... I actually like the 'Southern' one. Gives their stations and rolling stock a strong corporate identity. The 'First Capital' one is very Phone-shoppy alright... yuk! The 'wrap' looks quiet dated already.

A good livery and a strong brand is an important investment for any business operating a fleet of vehicles. If their design team would only google: Eddie Stobart Trucks, Union Pacific, Virgin Trains, Freightliner, Eurostar, TGV, SNCF French Railways etc... they might have got some inspiration on what a good livery looks like.

OK Rant over....

Tom.

• Thanks 1

That's a lovely bit of respraying / kitbashing by Driver301 and Tara Junction. Those British DMU's make a very passable 29000 it must be said, whether its N or OO gauge. Top stuff lads :tumbsup:

Now for my two cents worth.... I really did like the Lime/navy/white Commuter livery. It was very distinctive and I don't mean that in a bad way. Even weathered up and unwashed (as they tend to be when in service) it still looked bright. The new Livery looks very dark, over time it'll look dowdy. Not good for enticing customers.

It is possible to change a livery without throwing the baby out with the bathwater! For example the change from 'Supertrain' to 'IE', The brighter orange and black/white lining freshened things up. No need for a complete re-paint.

But if indeed it is time for a new livery, at least make some effort. I mean it is quiet lame. Not to mention yet another livery that IE's fleet is running.... are we up to number 7, 8 liveries now???

There was some comment on UK liveries earlier... I actually like the 'Southern' one. Gives their stations and rolling stock a strong corporate identity. The 'First Capital' one is very Phone-shoppy alright... yuk! The 'wrap' looks quiet dated already.

A good livery and a strong brand is an important investment for any business operating a fleet of vehicles. If their design team would only google: Eddie Stobart Trucks, Union Pacific, Virgin Trains, Freightliner, Eurostar, TGV, SNCF French Railways etc... they might have got some inspiration on what a good livery looks like.

OK Rant over....

Tom.

I do agree with you Tom, it's just far too dark and boring, plain simple borning. It's good for us train spotters (I'm one!) because there are different liverys about, up here in the north, there are two (3 during autom!) which are redbull & enterprise, I'm already bored of TS because of this. I perved it when I was younger in early 2005 late 2004 when you had IÉ trains, green strip, redbull, fright and enterprise. It brought joy to us train spotters. Now everything is in the same colours. I always get the joy back when I go down south into Dublin, because there is the mix of all these different liverys.;) But thinking from a passenger view, it could (& will) get confusing, as too many liverys may cause passengers there are more than one company operating, where if you keep it to 3-4 liverys, train spotters still get the joy :) and passengers don't get confused, so in a way, I É have 3-4 too many liverys, up here in the north, we have 2-3 too little liverys. So enjoy it well it lasts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Irish Rail 29000 class no.29012 has got the new livery as well as 29017 seen in this video passing Laytown for Drogheda at 09:33 on 22/5/14. 29017 passed with the new livery later. It appears the logo "stickers" are falling off in some places of 29017 already!

Edited by Deutschbahn

• 7 months later...

Forgive late post on this old thread, catching up on some interesting reading. While the livery is a little dull, it's not bad looking and has that essential horizontal linear consistency needed for trains. No silly wavey shapes or vertical colour changes. It seems to matter little anyway as rail cars, ICRs, and DMUs look hideous plastic buses on rails. All changed, changed utterly, the most boring looking railway since Black and Tan days.

A comparison between the old and new liveries around the cab ends as carried by 29108 and 29117 respectively.

P1090640r.jpg

I do agree with Noel’s comment ‘the most boring looking railway since Black and Tan days’. If there are going to be these types of trains then they should at least have a livery that has a bit of pizzazz. The new livery does not have that and, in my mind, the old livery was better.

Edited by josefstadt

Cripes,

Are these colours genuine or photo-enhanced? ? The colours to my eyesight look to be dark brown- white-orange brown. The coach looks as if it is being prepared for painting so, was this an experimental colour scheme?

Coach colours are, I believe, a very personal matter. When I was a child, CIE coaches were green with eau-de-nil lining, the emblem, "Speed on Wheels" irrelevantly known as the "Flying Snail. There were still some GSR coaches to be seen, I remember sighting these in one of the sidings at Foxrock, possibly 1947, but not later than that as the family I visited moved to Killiney late that year. In my humble opinion, I like green rolling stock. Perhaps this is because I saw this as a child!

Oh the joys of memory - Green trams (proper trams) in Dublin, green buses, green trains. Of course the Great Northern stock needs to be mentioned - Teak Brown Coaches, hauled by Blue Engines. Their Oxford Blue and cream buses and trams were something to behold but, the majority of our transport was painted green and looked extremely well in it too.

It's green for me.

Edited by Old Blarney

I agree. I never liked the bland liveries given to the DD stock (all variations of which are awful IMHO), the Mk4 and ICR stock and the NIR "red bull". Silver is just too bland a colour for any corporate image.

The primary concern for any corporate image must be branding and identification of colour with product. Cie's green (or cadburys purple) fit this bill ideally.

If IE want green, it needs to be applied as a distinct shade of their own, to everything they own. We are heading towards a1980s BR style scenario where no two items on rails, or station premises, have the same image / livery.

I might add.... Any business which continually "sub-sectorises" itself -

(A) does not show new vibrancy to the public - it confuses and bores them.

(B) often shows signs of too many little "empires" within the organisation, which can be a reflection of inefficient central management, poor marketing skills / unmarketable "products", or just plain old fashioned " too many chiefs" syndrome

I find the livery quite fetching. It has the feel of a real railway livery as opposed to the rainbows on wheels that are all too frequent in recent times. Colour schemes should be simple and understated such as the old GNER on the east coast mainline or Strathclyde's maroon and cream. The old UTA/NIR red and white was probably the best livery on the island to date.

I find the livery quite fetching. It has the feel of a real railway livery as opposed to the rainbows on wheels that are all too frequent in recent times. Colour schemes should be simple and understated such as the old GNER on the east coast mainline or Strathclyde's maroon and cream. The old UTA/NIR red and white was probably the best livery on the island to date.

I tend to agree.

I always thought something like red or maroon and cream would have a good strong brand for the Enterprise. It was superb on the Donegal Railway, which prior to 1932, like the LLSR had some of the darkest, gloomiest liveries ever seen!

What really suits passenger trains is horizontally linear colour schemes and no vertical colour breaks, like silly doors on Irish Rails plastic rail buses, or wavey patterns.

What really suits passenger trains is horizontally linear colour schemes and no vertical colour breaks, like silly doors on Irish Rails plastic rail buses, or wavey patterns.

All passenger doors on rolling stock have to be a different colour thanks to an EU directive I believe to help the partially sighted. Same in the UK anyway.

All passenger doors on rolling stock have to be a different colour thanks to an EU directive I believe to help the partially sighted. Same in the UK anyway.

It's also to assist the emergency services in the event of a fire/accident in identifying access points. Give it a few years fran, all doors, no matter the livery will have to be neon orange or something daft.

It's also to assist the emergency services in the event of a fire/accident in identifying access points. Give it a few years fran, all doors, no matter the livery will have to be neon orange or something daft.

Eurostar and TGV the two fastest trains in Europe don't have coloured doors! Neither do Belmond luxury trains, so I suspect nor will the Hibernian express. Or is it the typical Irish state thing to lift the EU carpet in search of as many daft regulations hidden underneath we could comply with to be 'good Europeans'. Doors on passenger jets aren't either. Another example of H&S PCness gone mad. The French have the strenght to ignore daft EU regs.

Eurostar and TGV the two fastest trains in Europe don't have coloured doors! Neither do Belmond luxury trains, so I suspect nor will the Hibernian express. Or is it the typical Irish state thing to lift the EU carpet in search of as many daft regulations hidden underneath we could comply with to be 'good Europeans'. Doors on passenger jets aren't either. Another example of H&S PCness gone mad. The French have the strenght to ignore daft EU regs.

Current TGV liveries feature coloured doors. For example:

TGV Duplex: http://www.railplus.com.au/images/gallery/tgv-01.jpg (the coaches have one door per side - coloured green)

TGV Lyria: http://staticassets1e.eurostar.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_a1/public/458x228_tgv_lyria1.jpg?itok=o1pvN687 (white/grey with red doors)

Some of the older sets have still to receive the latest liveries but no doubt will when its their turn to get a respray - there's probably a grandfather rights-type exemption in the meantime. Same goes for the Eurostar... the latest livery is white/blue with grey doors: http://skift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/NG_141113_Eurostar_print-6754-1280x853.jpg

the LLSR had some of the darkest, gloomiest liveries ever seen!

Think that might have been the cheapest grey paint they could get simply to protect the woodwork, appearances didn't even come into it.

Re painting the doors a different or contrasting colour. One wonders how on earth did emergency services manage to find doors when they were all the one colour?

Re painting the doors a different or contrasting colour. One wonders how on earth did emergency services manage to find doors when they were all the one colour?

I think the contrasting door thing is more about partially-sighted passengers finding the doors than the emergency services.

My local hospital has Braille repeats of the many signs' wordings in the bottom right hand corner of each one - handy, if the blind person can actually find the sign....

I think the contrasting door thing is more about partially-sighted passengers finding the doors than the emergency services.

My local hospital has Braille repeats of the many signs' wordings in the bottom right hand corner of each one - handy, if the blind person can actually find the sign....

Thanks, that makes more sense the SAR needs.