CIE Dmu's ?

Rate this topic

amdaley

Hello Everyone.

Perhaps someone can help me with this.

As a kid in Cork I remember CIE Dmu's leaving the station next to the City Hall bound for Bantry I think ?

Can anyone tell me the model of there dmu's & is there a 4mm model available anywhere ?

It would have been around 1960 ?

I understand that there is a book available Diesel Dawn Ireland's Contribution to the Development of the DMU 1931-1967

However I haven't been able to find a copy. Perhaps someone can help ?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Tony,

They were definitely the 2600 Aec class railcars leaving Albert Qy station. There was also bullied inchicore built railcar examples used on the line.

Modelwise silverfox do an example using uk based stock for the base model. I ve a copy of the diesel dawn book that your welcome to have a lend off.

Hi Tony,

The railcars you are referring to are almost certainly the 2600 class, which were built by AEC and entered service in 1952. Some of them lasted into the 1980s after being converted to unpowered push-pull sets for use on Dublin suburban services.

Photo here: http://s836.photobucket.com/user/bufferstop1/media/4003.jpg.html

Hi Tony,

They were definitely the 2600 Aec class railcars leaving Albert Qy station. There was also bullied inchicore built railcar examples used on the line.

Modelwise silverfox do an example using uk based stock for the base model. I ve a copy of the diesel dawn book that your welcome to have a lend off.

Sorry I don't have names for you lads but thanks for the info.

I'm not going to build one right now so I will keep an eye out for a copy of that book. Bound to turn up eventually like the local bus :D

Would Murphy's be interested I wonder ?

Even though I don't have an Irish layout I would certainly buy a couple as they have great memories for me.

Another model I would be interested in is a C class No 227 which was on the last train to leave Caherciveen on the 1st July 1960 on the Farrenfore to Valentia Railway.

Would Murphy's be interested I wonder ?

Even though I don't have an Irish layout I would certainly buy a couple as they have great memories for me.

Another model I would be interested in is a C class No 227 which was on the last train to leave Caherciveen on the 1st July 1960 on the Farrenfore to Valentia Railway.

Murphys don't seem to want to do a model which has been released RTR by another provider. Silver Fox did a tarted up BR craven unit in Irish liveries. One to the standards of Murphy stock would be fantastic. Then again he'd probably have to do a C class to go with it...

Sorry I don't have names for you lads but thanks for the info.

I'm not going to build one right now so I will keep an eye out for a copy of that book. Bound to turn up eventually like the local bus :D

I'm pretty sure I've seen that book on eBay a number of times.......

Thanks for the links but nothing at the share site & the ebay item is no longer available.

Thanks for that.

I'll chase it up when I get back tonight as I'm away all day.

Hello Everyone.

Perhaps someone can help me with this.

As a kid in Cork I remember CIE Dmu's leaving the station next to the City Hall bound for Bantry I think ?

Can anyone tell me the model of there dmu's & is there a 4mm model available anywhere ?

It would have been around 1960 ?

Thanks everyone.

Worsley Works do an etch for the AEC railcar if you want to go down the scratch/kit build route.

Worsley Works do an etch for the AEC railcar if you want to go down the scratch/kit build route.

Thanks for that Hunslet.

Not really interested in going down that route.

I was hoping that something modern might be available in Rtr.

Anything available is either a repaint of something else or old technology.

I had hoped that Murphy's might have plans to bring out something but it seems not.

I have examples of all of Murphy's products except the 201 which I simply don't like as I'm not into modern stuff.

• 3 years later...

Tony / Colin

Check the RPSI's sales section. I am nearly sure there was a copy of it among the second hand books on the May tour. It's an essential book for Irish railcars giving details of the huge array of types to be seen in the 1950s and 60s.

The AEC cars have been approximately replicated by Silverfox, giving a relatively inexpensive representation, through a re-liveried British Rail Craven 2-car DMU.

(Britain had DMUs, we had "railcars"!)

However, as others have oft remarked, a proper CIE / UTA / NIR / GNR kit or (better still) RTR would be a superb thing to have.

Somebody, somewhere does a kit - I've seen built up examples on this website. I imagine it's not for the faint-hearted to make, and once power units etc have been included probably not cheap. However, we get what we pay for and if within budget, quality is well worth paying for....

Hi

Tonto & I think Glenderg did respray of BR Class 105 DMU's which might be what your thinking of JHB, they have the usual conversion problems like- door and windows but they do make a respectable AEC rail cars!

I have done some up-grades to the silverfox model- directional lights and DCC electric wired couplers throughout for Dartstation on here, and another converted to DCC 21mm with same above and coach lights for a chap not on here- a lot of work to do the directional lights n couplers....

Just to note- one does not have to ditch the motor when changing to 21mm, just replace the axles in the motor to 28mm ones, I used 2mm steel rods (piano wire)cut to size....

Eoin

Hi

Here are a few shots of the first one, some cutting of the chassis and the drivers desk is required to get the LEDs in, the wires and connectors to remove the body from the chassis was housed in the WC- obviously! thats where most keep their valuables! then down through the floor, through the buffer beam and up into the next car which has a slotted buffer beam, to make the connection again in the WC. The wires are then painted black and it looks grand.

AEC DL-01 IMAG2632.jpg

AEC DL-02 IMAG2634.jpg

AEC DL-03 IMAG2635.jpg

Eoin

Sorry Noel

It's unusual for me but I cant locate the photos of the finished units! Do remember taking photos all right, and they should be in the dir that the ones above are stored in but when I went to post them up, only the ones above were found!

Eoin

Here is a link to Tonto's 105 conversion to AEC

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4755-Tonto-s-Wreckbench?p=72805&viewfull=1#post72805

I'm told a Craven can be used in the middle, as it was done in the real thing! the same source also told me that this lead to the demise of some AEC power units as the Cravens were to heavy!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4755-Tonto-s-Wreckbench?p=72805&viewfull=1#post72805

I'm told a Craven can be used in the middle, as it was done in the real thing! the same source also told me that this lead to the demise of some AEC power units as the Cravens were to heavy!

Eoin

I'm pretty sure Cravens were never used in railcar sets. Centre or trailer cars were Park Royals or various varieties of laminate, not Cravens.

In the 1950s some old ex-GSWR wooden-bodied bogies were used as centre cars. Occasionally, even older stock was used as being towed behind them - even (I've seen photographic evidence!) a 1890-something vintage MGWR six-wheeler being towed by an AEC set on the Harcourt St line as late as 1957.

It is possible that some Bredins were used in railcar sets too, though I'm unaware of any personally.

Eoin

British Leyland discontinuing the supply of engine and transmission parts was one of the main factors in the demise of the AEC railcars. During Leyland did not seem to understand the long lived nature of railway assets and a business model based on the supply of spare parts.

New Zealand railways had to re-engine its DSC heavy shunting locos (52) with Cummins engines in the early 70s after Leyland discontinued to supply parts for the Leyland UE902 engines shorty after the last of the locos entered service.

News to me, Eoin; hence my comment I'm "nearly" sure.

I will investigate this as it is of critical importance to anybody striving for accuracy!

Initial feedback from my three best Inchicore historical contacts indicate what I thought: Cravens absolutely did NOT run with AEC cars, I am told.

I will update this information as and when I get more feedback.

Some confusion might arise in that Cravens DID appear among mixed consists of loco hauled suburban trains in the 1980s on the Connolly routes, when they were indiscriminately mixed up with other carriages.

As John says, spare parts were the demise of AEC cars on both NIR and CIE.