Llangollen in N

Rate this topic

I am working on an N Gauge model based on a reopened section of the former Ruabon to Barmouth line at Llangollen in NE Wales. I have based the track plan on the BR pre-closure layout and as if the section east of the bridge had been refurbished. I am using modified Metcalfe card kits as well as some Kestral plastic kits. The track is Peco finescale and power is straightforward DC (Morley Vesta Zero2N). I will use a rtr stock in GWR/early BR with steam/DMU/early diesel outline as in "preserved stock" or heritage line. I have a model of Foxcote Manor which is actually preserved at Llangollen. The pictures below show the early/intermediate stages of construction and I will post updates from time to time. I hope to show the model at exhibitions in time. (Note: Edited to reload photos lost to Photobucket/may differ to original posting).

DSCF0820.thumb.JPG.14a35719c64d7d51711311ddf0a24ad9.JPGDSCF0822.thumb.JPG.1e1b512cf2e845423259fd3a03cbd5f6.JPGDSCF0823.thumb.JPG.962e45b4ff244f0d48177354090f06a3.JPGDSCF0824.thumb.JPG.bc95302df243ebcc84a5c5a168286431.JPGDSCF0826.thumb.JPG.2f2714dae224df11d2f1e9518c240a8d.JPGDSCF0827.thumb.JPG.fffa1c2e6c078e4d06e5a6807acb6a56.JPG

Edited by Irishrailwayman
Additional information/pictures
  • Like 1

Gerry!

So far, so very good indeed! I had to keep reminding myself that this was N gauge! The platforms at LLan are very long indeed, with that sweeping curve to take them away from the river. For those that don't know, the footbridge on the down side is very disconcerting for travellers that use it in that is cantilevered out over the river - fine in Summer, but after the recent Winter, if you look down through the gaps in the footboards all you can see is a boiling seething torrent!

You've very much captured the feel of the place - being on a shelf between the river and the hill…

I could go on and on, but Gerry, you are very much on the right tracks (sorry!) I was concerned when you said that Llangollen was your next project, being as it is near and dear to me in 1:1 scale - I worried needlessly, even at this early stage, 'I could be there'.

I am very much looking forward to progress updates!

-Rob

i am surprised at the level of detail on here Gerry! as Robert said - i have to remind myself that it is indeed N gauge. the metcalf structures are superb (and i was never a fan of it...until now!) best of luck with it and keep the progress reports comming! bty , what power pack will you use and have you any stock yet?

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I plan to keep the controls simple i.e. DC using a Morley N gauge twin controller and push rods for the turnouts. I have collected some rolling stock mainly new Graham Farish or Dapol which are of very high quality including Foxcote manor steam outline locomotive, Class 20 BR, Class 108 DMUs in green and blue liveries, goods wagons, and rakes of BR MK 1 coaches in choclate/cream, maroon, carmine/cream and BR blue/grey liveries. I plan to get a few 0-6-0 tank engines for the autocoachs in various liveries also.

Early days yet, I looking forward to seeing how the layout shapes up as I add additional layers of detail including modelling a fast running river, trees etc. I have mirrors for each end to develop the illusion that the river/trees extend into the distance...

typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few photos to update you on progress with "Llangollen in N". Next tasks include completing hard scenic base and adding cloudy sky... (Note: new photos uploaded by edit due to loss on Photobucket/may differ from original posting).

DSCF0828.thumb.JPG.d3b730416366a423d9e45d2385a8d3da.JPGDSCF0829.thumb.JPG.1a61ad0ccd2dce1ec097600f1d5323fc.JPGDSCF0830.thumb.JPG.f3e4920e95b6b765999594969b7e8bbd.JPGDSCF0831.thumb.JPG.bc8207fce5fffde3153de22bbfa3d5ba.JPGDSCF0832.thumb.JPG.a534ec046311aa3ed32ab2b0efad92a6.JPGDSCF0833.thumb.JPG.b308f244d71a43975f27fdeb4656ec6c.JPG

Add images lost to Photobucket

Remarkable job you've done there Gerry - it looks and 'feels' like the place.

Grey skies are about right too! :)

What you've done with the continuation under the bridge is very reminiscent of what used to be at Dolgellau, about forty miles further up the line towards the coast.

I don't think I've ever seen Metcalfe kits used to represent an actual prototype so well.

I showed the the former CME of the Llangollen Railway the first pics on the thread, without telling him what scale it was, or even where it was supposed to be a model of - He said 'He's got Llan just right' - then I told him it was 'N'…. His face was a picture!

-Rob

Edited by Robert Davies

You have really captured the atmosphere of the place, with the railway and town hemmed into a narrow river valley. I was always fascinated by the railways and canals in Mid Wales and the Welsh border country. Modelling the fast flowing waters of the Dee will be an interesting challenge

Remarkable job you've done there Gerry - it looks and 'feels' like the place.

Grey skies are about right too! :)

What you've done with the continuation under the bridge is very reminiscent of what used to be at Dolgellau, about forty miles further up the line towards the coast.

I don't think I've ever seen Metcalfe kits used to represent an actual prototype so well.

I showed the the former CME of the Llangollen Railway the first pics on the thread, without telling him what scale it was, or even where it was supposed to be a model of - He said 'He's got Llan just right' - then I told him it was 'N'…. His face was a picture!

-Rob

I'm delighted that you like my work as you know the locality so well. In addition referencing my own photographs, I have a very good illustrated book on the Railways of North Wales: The Llangollen Line: Ruabon-Barmouth by WG Rear and N Jones (2012 edition). The cover colour photograph shows a quintessential view of the station from the bridge.

I used the book to design the section "east" of the bridge as if this had been preserved. I have used modeller's licence to add a curved cross-over at the west side also and rearranged the waiting room (in "stone"rather than brick as on the prototype as is the secondary road bridge) locations to suit the layout. I selected the Metcalfe card kits and plastic Kestral kits which most closely resembled the prototypes and kit-bashed these to resemble the prototypes.

I have now added Peco clouded skies paper to the backscene and will consider using a generic woodland overlay perhaps with a few cut-out photos of actual buildings in the background (including perhaps Dinas Bran).

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Llangollen in N with trees and river in full flow... (Note:images lost to Photobucket)

And a short video as a preview of the Exhibition debut of Llangollen in N at the Wexford MRC show at CBS Wexford on October 26 and 27, 2014 (thanks to Enniscorthyman for his excellent photography):

• 1 year later...
Irishrailwayman said:

A few photos to update you on progress with "Llangollen in N". Next tasks include completing hard scenic base and adding cloudy sky.

Guys, I had been posting pictures from Photobucket but this seems to be by way of weblink that can get disrupted. Any thoughts on how pictures can be attached to postings as copies of photos on a laptop. Non-techie :-(

• 1 month later...

I have set up Llangollen in N over the Christmas holidays and have taken a few photies of upgrades and rolling stock...

A general view of Llangollen's (mediaeval) bridge with modern traffic, the River Dee, heritage railway (note Castel Dinas Bran in backdrop overlooking the town...

DSCF0827.jpg

A BR Class 20 diesel has charge of some cattle wagons on a mixed goods train. Note the unusual footbridge cantilevered out over the River Dee...

DSCF0828.jpg

Garth Hall No 5955 4-6-0 rests in the bay platform while GWR chocolate and cream MK1 coaches form the back of an excursion set.

DSCF0835.jpg

General view of Llangollen with River Dee, bridge and railway.

DSCF0830.jpg

An engineer's train provides the needs of the PW gang at the facing siding.

DSCF0834.jpg

Note the use of a mirror to get four kayakers for the price of two (and make the River Dee flow towards the sea)!

DSCF0829.jpg

Other kayakers have a hard time dealing with a rapidly flowing River Dee.

DSCF0826.jpg

Three storey redbrick victorian villas were modelled by modifying Metcalfe card kits.

DSCF0824.jpg

A BR green Class 25 has charge of an excursion train at the Church Road bridge end of the station. Note again the use of a mirror to provide interesting depth of field at this end of the layout.

DSCF0823.jpg

View from Church Road bridge over Llangollen station.

DSCF0820.jpg

Workshop sidings above the restored line at the Church Road bridge.

DSCF0836.jpg

Modern traffic on Llangollen bridge contrasts with the heritage rolling stock on the restored railway.

DSCF0831.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0845.jpg

DSCF0846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just completed adding new DC chassis - GreenMax 18M (from http://www.wellingtonmodels.com/index.php/6/) to two GWR Railcar bodies kindly given to me as gifts by David Heath and Sean Ryan. I converted one into an "Express Parcels" railcar with GWR crest logo No 34 by attaching vinyl overlays from Electra Railway Graphics (see http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/ under Heritage Range). The other I retained as railcar No 19 with GWR round "art deco" logos. Models shown here posing on Ballybeg with their bigger "OO" DCC cousin from Shunters Yard!

DSCF1249.jpg

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1248.jpg

• 3 months later...