071 Liveries

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Just talking to some lads in the MRSI about what colours they would like to see on the new 071's

We assume there will be 10 different locos issued.

Supertrain, with 2 running numbers Class leader 071 to be one

IR with 2 numbers

IE with 2 numbers

Freight with 2 numbers

We all agreed on those ones

NIR, some said only one others wanted 2

There was also a Supertrain with a smaller broken wheel decal which was mentioned

What do you guys reckon would be the best

Answers on a postcard to........................

IR, NIR and IE will be my focus, with a Freight one and a Supertrains one for completeness. I don't know who I'm trying to kid, I'm going to end up with as many as I can afford!

I think IR livery will be my fav,and like you said I will have to see how many I can afford to.

The first delivery in October will be NIR,Freight,Super Train.

But if he does it in very limited numbers they should sell ok... Personally I don't know how people would want a brand-new loco like that when they could get them weathered for not nearly as much as it would cost to get them weathered separately. Without weathering I think they look really plasticy...

But if he does it in very limited numbers they should sell ok... Personally I don't know how people would want a brand-new loco like that when they could get them weathered for not nearly as much as it would cost to get them weathered separately. Without weathering I think they look really plasticy...

I'd much rather a proper professional weathering job with subtle details rather than the generic spray factory weathered models get, but each to their own.

I'd much rather a proper professional weathering job with subtle details rather than the generic spray factory weathered models get, but each to their own.

Exactly Fran at least the lads that we know who provide a weathering service will weather from a customers photographs, so in essence they are weathering what they see instead of a few passes of an airbrush over the bogies.

Rich,

Just talking to some lads in the MRSI about what colours they would like to see on the new 071's

We assume there will be 10 different locos issued.

Supertrain, with 2 running numbers Class leader 071 to be one

IR with 2 numbers

IE with 2 numbers

Freight with 2 numbers

We all agreed on those ones

NIR, some said only one others wanted 2

There was also a Supertrain with a smaller broken wheel decal which was mentioned

What do you guys reckon would be the best

Answers on a postcard to........................

Bear in mind, folks, there were several variations of NIR livery; initial much lighter blue and current shade; two different sizes of yellow panel, also a day-glo orange rectangle, and two different sizes and styles of NIR logo on the sides! And south of the border there was also the original livery as they were all painted in USA before delivery with a non-standard darker than normal "orange", and logos on each end which (a) were slightly larger than normal, and (b) had gthe white "CIE" lettering surrounded by a white broken wheel instead of the standard tan one. Hope that's of help to someone, rather than a source of confusion!

Paddy was telling a great story yesterday. When he was in York road looking at the 111's he was getting a sample of paint for the forthcoming model when he asked for the NIR blue the reply he got from the member of staff in the paint shop was. What shade are you after as there are no two the same its just what ever shade comes out of the tin after we mix it

Paddy was telling a great story yesterday. When he was in York road looking at the 111's he was getting a sample of paint for the forthcoming model when he asked for the NIR blue the reply he got from the member of staff in the paint shop was. What shade are you after as there are no two the same its just what ever shade comes out of the tin after we mix it

That tale was also often told of Dundalk Works! However, evidence on the ground indicates that neither of NIR's two blue colours, nor GNR blue, was anything like as unreliably consistent as such a policy would probably result in...

As well as that, the infrequent repaints of these locos and the small numbers of them makes any livery change almost a unique one! (e.g. (8)113).

I was in Inchicore in 2002 and 5603 was in ex works condition after being overhauled. There was a composite there as well in ex works and the shades of orange were considerably different on both vehicles. When asked about it the IE employee said it all comes down to who mixes the paint, and that a little bit to much or less thinners can dictate the final shade of the color. They were also using a new type of paint that would make it easy to remove graffiti if a vehicle got vandalized.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...

It also depends on the light in which the paint is mixed. Paint mixed in bright daylight will inevitably be slightly different to paint mixed under artificial lighting, then you get variances between folks on the day shift and those on the night shift... It's a mine-field but at least it gives modellers some artistic license! I recall there was recently a photo in Model Rail of 2 Gresleys (I think) which were outshopped from the same works within a few days of each other - noticeably different shades.

I'm really a big fan of the current Silver and Black livery. It's most likely that they will sell the quickest, however, there will be a big demand for the the Supertrain livery version if it is numbered 071. I bought 6 of the weathered 141/181s in the IR/IÉ liveries but, I wouldn't advise Paddy to release any weathered versions of the 071s, especially, after seeing the fantastic job some of you guys can do.

I'm really a big fan of the current Silver and Black livery. It's most likely that they will sell the quickest, however, there will be a big demand for the the Supertrain livery version if it is numbered 071. I bought 6 of the weathered 141/181s in the IR/IÉ liveries but, I wouldn't advise Paddy to release any weathered versions of the 071s, especially, after seeing the fantastic job some of you guys can do.

I would have thought the IR and IE liveries would

Be the most popular,I know they are the main ones

I want.