Graham's layout - Monkhill and Saltstown.

Rate this topic

irishthump

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A little more scenic work; a couple of sidings in the corner of the layout!

A layer of ordinary plaster which I covered with a coat of cheap brown poster paint.

023.jpg

024.jpg

Stuck down some basket liner and added some extra flock for variety, then ballasted the track.

layout1014.jpg

Those cheeap Hornby buffer stops look a bit plain so I added a couple of offcuts of rail to try to improve them.

layout1013.jpg

It still needed some more detailing but I could'nt resist parking some stock on the sidings!

layout1019.jpg

layout1018.jpg

When you say plaster, you mean regular normal plaster?

Might be worth a go for some hard standing

Yes normal plaster, the horrible pink coloured kind!

I'm think of using myself for a hard standing, a great tip I learned was to add in some PVA when mixing the plaster which gives it flexability and stops

it cracking.

Yes normal plaster, the horrible pink coloured kind!

I'm think of using myself for a hard standing, a great tip I learned was to add in some PVA when mixing the plaster which gives it flexability and stops

it cracking.

Genius idea! What sort of ballast did you use for the sidings?

Scalescenes?

The rate at which you are working is impressing as much as the quality thereof!!

No not Scalescenes, that pattern is a free download from here http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Scenery/Buildings.htm.

It looks quite good when weathered.

As for my "speed", this is stuff I've been doing over the last few weeks that I just have'nt had the time to post. So don't expect another update for another month!:)

Looks super effective!

Any particular card type?

Just normal mounting card from my local Art and Hobby shop, the kind with the smooth, hot pressed finish. Not sure which thickness. I just got as near as I could to the thickness of the sleepers, layed one layer level with the sleepers between the track then layed the second layer right up against the track edge.

• 1 month later...

Another long overdue update!

Have'nt had the time to really do anything until this week. But I'm now off work until the new year so hopefully I'll make some progress.

Firstly, I have extended the main double line to give a straight run through what will be my station, here's what it looked like before...

LayoutMay2012027.jpg

And now...

layout019.jpg

This allows the platforms to be long enough to take a 5 coach train.

And speaking of platforms.... These are made from 12mm mdf with brick paper on the sides.

layout023.jpg

layout022.jpg

The top surface is 5mm foamboard painted a suitable colour then I added strips of sandpaper for the tar surface.

layout025.jpg

layout024.jpg