Graham's layout - Monkhill and Saltstown.

Rate this topic

irishthump

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

layout026.jpg

Some detail was added to the platform sides. Don't ask me what these are supposed to be, I just make them to resemble what I have seen on the real thing!

layout027.jpg

layout029.jpg

Next step is to weather them and they'll be ready for the layout.

I really like the cable detail on the platform wall. What did you use for the black cable. Looking good

Guest hidden-agenda

I think the edge of the platforms are white and the more modern edges have small indents for the visually impaired. open to correction if i am wrong.

Nice work by the way and i like the cable detail.

Looks fabulous keep up the good work. :-bd

As far as the white line is concerned, it was usually quite thin 100 - a 1.3mm strip at 00. The most common approach was to lay 600mm concrete paving or granite slabs as the platform edge, and tarmac/gravel up to it and paint the platform edge white. Later on when the yellow line was introduced it was set back behind the concrete, using a road marking roller to paint the yellow line, again 100mm wide.

Ashtown and Attymon Junction are the first that come to mind made entirely of brick as a platform side.Richie.

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress!

Finished the retaining walls around the station platforms...

layout10313030_zpseef18f79.jpg

layout10313032_zpsdeb2a184.jpg

The kiosk, sandwich stall, bike rack and footbridge were Xmas presents!

layout10313031_zps24978017.jpg

layout10313033_zpsb6ed84d3.jpg

The headshunt to the left of the platform is also my programming track which is wired through a DPDT switch.

layout10313039_zps9a125cfa.jpg

When the led on the buffer is lit the track is under main power and it goes out when the track is in programming mode.

layout10313041_zps875c48dc.jpg

Looks brilliant! How did you do the walls? Love the programming track with the led.

The walls are 6mm mdf covered with brick paper that I downloaded for free from newrailwaymodellers.com, it looks a lot better when

weathered as you can see.

The brick courses on top are scored in 3mm foamboard painted grey with Halfords primer.

Over the last few days I got the the rest of the freight yard ballasted. After the glue dried I toned it down with a thin black wash applied with an airbrush.

layout21213009_zpsa13e575a.jpg

As you can see in the pics I scratchbuilt a couple of sets of floodlights, these have leds fitted but I have'nt got round to adding a power bus yet.

Here's a better pic of them...

layout21213002_zpsc5ca09af.jpg

I also fitted leds to the sight office in the backround.

layout21213012_zps205b25d4.jpg

More scratchbuilding; a couple of simple ground levers for the points in the freight yard.

layout21213004_zps424be613.jpg

Another view...

layout21213011_zps9dd44694.jpg

layout21213014_zpsf9edea41.jpg

All that's needed now is some grass/weeds to finish it off.