Graham's layout - Monkhill and Saltstown.

Rate this topic

irishthump

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely work, great job on the yard lighting:-bd Must have a crack at doing it sometime. Are you planning a container yard? Would like one on my own lay out. Finally it seams there'll be a half decent 'reach stacker' in 1:76 on the way from Oxford Diecast in a few months. Should be good :)

Yeah I was planning to make it a container yard, so that's great news about the reach stacker!

Thanks for comments lads, I was worried it was a tad overdone but after looking at some photos in Rails Through the West I see that some freight sidings got in a far worse state!

@Glenderg - yes it needs variety, I have a static grass applicator on order so it's likely to get more overgrown! Once the "natural" debris is done I'll start in on the real rubbish!

But it will have to wait a while, I had my tonsils out Monday. So I'm sitting here at the PC feeling sorry for myself...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi irihthump, I've been sitting here viewing all your work on your layout, & I have to say it look's just fantastic. your attention to detail is amazing, I know it takes time to do what you would like your layout to be, your doing a great job, you also have a really nice selection of rolling stock, and your 071 sure do's not look out of place, very well done, :trains:

Hi irihthump, I've been sitting here viewing all your work on your layout, & I have to say it look's just fantastic. your attention to detail is amazing, I know it takes time to do what you would like your layout to be, your doing a great job, you also have a really nice selection of rolling stock, and your 071 sure do's not look out of place, very well done, :trains:

Thanks for the kind words Burnthebox! As you say it takes time, and while I'm very happy with the way it's going, I already find myself thinking of what I would I would do differently on the next layout!

• 5 months later...

Haven't done an update in a long time but managed to get a bit done over the last couple of weeks...

Did some more ballasting is more or less finished except for a few small areas so I decided to weather the track/ballast with an airbrush, here's the results...

IMG_1018_zps7bebe690.jpg

I used Humbrol enamels, matt black with a touch of matt white.

You can also see the shunting signals I installed on the crossing. They're not prototypical but work well and they look ok to me!

Here's a pic of 182 reposing in the siding.

IMG_1020_zpsb2f1afbe.jpg

Here's a shot of the engine shed.

IMG_1014_zps11dae8ba.jpg

Finally added some innocent bystanders to the platform, the guy on the right looks a bit impatient!

IMG_1008_zps421deed9.jpg

I also installed some more signals, these are all wired to my point motors and change when any points are switched.

I got them on Ebay and they started out looking like this...

KGrHqFn8FIhHh9zuBQQgOwMPTg60_58_zpsc51b1942.jpg

After a bit of surgery and a repaint I think I came up with something that looks a bit more fitting...

IMG_1002_zpse8d76fce.jpg

Here are the signals for the bay platform.

IMG_1004_zpsab10370d.jpg

• 1 month later...

A little bit of progress!!!

Added canopies and lamps to the platforms. Went for the standard Hornby canopies as are they were readily available in my local Mark's Models and I didn't fancy going the scratchbuilt route.

051_zps1085b741.jpg

The lamps on the platforms are cheap LED lamps I got from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110422352893?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Only €15 for 20 and they look fine when wired up. I just cut off one arm for the single lamps on the left platform.

049_zps7dfd7b9d.jpg

047_zpseb8fd9c6.jpg