Sign in to follow this  
Broithe

Ballybrophy.

Over twenty going Ballybrophy to Nenagh and back? That in itself is interesting, as I assume that the few that DO use the woeful service on the branch were probably mostly going to Limerick.

Over twenty going Ballybrophy to Nenagh and back? That in itself is interesting, as I assume that the few that DO use the woeful service on the branch were probably mostly going to Limerick.

I wonder? It might be preferable, if going all the way to Limerick, to aim for a train, or trains, via Limerick Junction - if the timing still fits with your journey plans.

I wonder? It might be preferable, if going all the way to Limerick, to aim for a train, or trains, via Limerick Junction - if the timing still fits with your journey plans.

True, indeed.... maybe originating from the likes of Nenagh it's more towards Limerick....

JB this is quite correct I used the train quite a lot in 2014 and 2015.

Majority of passengers go as far as Nenagh...very few after...which is why I think it was ridiculous investing in the Nenagh - Limerick section with a vastly improved motorway being built adjacent. If the line was terminated at Nenagh the same rolling stock could be used to double the frequency on the Nenagh - Ballybrophy section at more suitable times for passengers, this has been indicated in the Aecom Report published relatively recently within the past few years.

Also when on the train I know of a handful of people that DROVE to Ballybrophy from Nenagh to commute!!!! They always got the 18:00 back to Ballybrophy to collect their cars

The branch siding has been fenced off properly.

rHEAfHf.jpg

Some interesting trolleys for those keen on the yellow stuff.

L6iySDV.jpg

And a selection of machinery.

2PdeFfR.jpg

dWv3j7G.jpg

Edited by Broithe

The footbridge has roller-shutter doors now.

wP22qBG.jpg

2yIHmOJ.jpg

The water tower still survives.

BEAfcnq.jpg

A newish van was in evidence.

VgStxgo.jpg

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, it's one of Jimmy O'Dea's. A fascinating collection to go through, but a pity he never did any colour photography.

Indeed - quite a few things that I've never seen before, from when Ballybrophy was the centre of the Universe.

• Like 1