Durham Railway

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

I thought I better ought to start a thread here on this forum about our exhibition layout which was built by all 3 of us (dad did most of it) (although you'll usually see me operating her at exhibitions) many of you may have already seen the layout on the exhibition circuit last year and this year so far.

This layout portrays a typical rural station in County Durham, set in both the 1930s London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) period and the 1960s British Railways period. The railways played a vital role throughout the north east of England due to the high number of coal mines and manufacturing centres, resulting in heavy freight traffic. Passenger traffic, although less important than freight, grew with the spread of industry. What we are hoping to achieve is the busy atmosphere of pre-World War Two days, leading to the subsequent decline of traffic through the post-war period, when the railways faced increased competition from the roads.

The latest exhibition which was the NDMRS Bangor exhibition in the grammar school saw the layout win an award for best exhibit.

Here are some pics,

image.jpg

The layout starting out, the layout took roughly 5 weeks from start to finish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This pic is from our first exhibition which was the first Bangor one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I didn't managed to get pics of the exhibition on show at carrickfergus but here it is at the first Bangor Christmas show.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here are some from our latest show,

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nelson

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Hello everyone,

2 months ago saw the start of the extension, this will give the layout a total length of 26ft with 18ft of scenic area.

image.jpg

Holes in the baseboard to save weight

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Overall shot

image.jpg

New end fiddle yard

image.jpg

And this is the new bridge, dads been working hard scribbling every single stone,

Many thanks

Nelson

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry for not updating sooner but the extension is progressing well and the bridge is now finished. And I think it looks fantastic, well done dad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks

Nelson

Ps: for some reason I haven't got any pics of the extension so ill get some soon.

Edited by Dunluce Castle

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello Hunslet (sorry I didn't catch your name) it was great meeting you as well today at the show, the layout is dads but I am head of operations :) and rollling stock. I hope to have my own layout sometime soon, an NCC one :) take care, Nelson.

I look forward to seeing your NCC inspired layout one day soon-Andy

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

Here's some photos of the layout at today's First Bangor MRC show, we decided to take the smaller version because it is far easier and more convenient for just the 2 of us. But the full length layout will hopefully be at the Cultra show later this year. The rolling stock today was following rule 1. So I do apologise in advance, but it is good to have a change and relax prototype rules some times.

Enjoy the pics none the less,

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks,

Nelson