Steam Train in Howth

Rate this topic

Portoman

THE Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) operates preserved steam trains all over the island of Ireland.

Founded 50 years ago, as part of its annual May three-day steam hauled rail tour, it is planned that former GNR(I) steam locomotive No. 85 'Merlin' (built 1932) and former GSR steam locomotive 461 (built 1921) will visit Howth on Saturday, May 17.

No. 85 will bring the train of 1960s vintage carriages from Connolly Station to Howth where it is due to arrive at 10.15am.

Locomotive 461 will follow and haul the train from Howth to Wicklow at 10.40am.

Locomotive 461 visited Howth in 2012, the first steam locomotive to do so since the DART electric trains began operating in 1984.

The next day steam train will travel from Dublin to Kilkenny and back with GNR locomotive 85, and on Monday, May 19, it will travel from Connolly Station at 11.15am to Belfast, also with steam loco 85 'Merlin'.

Worth a look !!

THE Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) operates preserved steam trains all over the island of Ireland.

Founded 50 years ago, as part of its annual May three-day steam hauled rail tour, it is planned that former GNR(I) steam locomotive No. 85 'Merlin' (built 1932) and former GSR steam locomotive 461 (built 1921) will visit Howth on Saturday, May 17.

No. 85 will bring the train of 1960s vintage carriages from Connolly Station to Howth where it is due to arrive at 10.15am.

Locomotive 461 will follow and haul the train from Howth to Wicklow at 10.40am.

Locomotive 461 visited Howth in 2012, the first steam locomotive to do so since the DART electric trains began operating in 1984.

The next day steam train will travel from Dublin to Kilkenny and back with GNR locomotive 85, and on Monday, May 19, it will travel from Connolly Station at 11.15am to Belfast, also with steam loco 85 'Merlin'.

Worth a look !!

Is this for RPSI members only ??

Cannot understand how I have not heard, read, or seen anything about this only when all seats are sold out, nothing in the media of any kind, :(

Your best bet would be to keep an eye on the RPSI website or if you get a RPSI membership then you will get a email newsletter about everything that is going on.

Edited by snapper

Cheers... ah yes I remember now, have you any idea why its going to whitehead? as space in whitehead is very much limited now with all the work going on etc.

No idea mate, I just know that RPSI became custodians of it a few years back and are now looking after it up north.