Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

More video's uploaded. Limerick Junction June 2005 in 5 parts so far: Part 1 is  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/46738009052/in/dateposted/ Parts 2 to 5 are also uploaded.

I think the scenario was that a 201 Class or Mk 3 set had failed in Cork and it was decided to swop over 202 on a down Liner with 190+ 134 on an up mt cement so that the 202 could return to Dublin and switch to a passenger diagram. As the Baby GM's couldn't take the same train load as a 201 class; 2 wagons were removed to the sidings where they were added to a following Limerick/Cork combined LIner.

My video technique wasn't so good in those days and its a bit "over-active", copied from Digital 8 Tape.

Ernie

• Like 4

No I don't think so, no loop on running line at Mallow and I am pretty sure that is an Oil storage tank in the distance.

Ernie

Later: I have found a photo by HC Casserley, 23 April 1955 which has the grey concrete gate post on it so I am pretty sure that it is Foynes Oil sidings.

Edited by Irishswissernie

• 3 weeks later...

I have added a few more excerpts from my Irish video taken 2000 to 2005. AS well as including them in the various Flickr photographic albums; I have also added them to a new Irish Video Flickr album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157706536575014

This should make it easier for those of you wishing to just watch the video's.

Ernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have added a few more video's including 166 picking up loaded fuel tanks on Alexandra Road and also a busy sequence at Cherryville in October 2004 featuring 4 different freights seen in an hour.

At :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157706536575014

Ernie

Thanks for posting. Some very interesting movements especially at Limerick junction.  Quality was quite good for the film format used. 

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have added a few more video's including 166 picking up loaded fuel tanks on Alexandra Road and also a busy sequence at Cherryville in October 2004 featuring 4 different freights seen in an hour.

At :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157706536575014

Ernie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are now 27 Irish videos from 2000-2005 uploaded. All are in this album https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157706536575014 as well as the individual 'Location' albums.

The UK videos which are either 1998 to 2005 origin or modern 4K (2017 onwards) also have their own album https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157678764785058  21 videos so far; the early content is mainly Cornwall freight 1998 -2000

Not getting much modelling done with pratting about with these old tapes but am resisting the temptation to start on the 200 hours plus of Swiss tapes 1998-2009!

Ernie

• Like 3

The quality of the video's has turned out a bit better than I thought but still nowhere near as good as the 4k stuff I'm now doing. Unfortunately the Handycams I used between 2009 and 2016 although 'handy' in that you could keep them in your pocket have proved to be a bit of a disaster although this could be because of the quality of the 4K material colouring my judgment slightly. I am now taking time out to re-visit some of the preserved railways to film them in 4K; Keighley & Worth Valley and Severn Valley Gala's in March for a start.

Actually doing a bit of modelling at the moment, constructing a long girder bridge to hide the exit at the left hand end of Glengarriff.

Some interesting negs/slides arrived and hopefully more in pipeline , this one for starters!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/32215264837/in/dateposted-public/

Courtmacsherry 'Argadeen 1939 img085

Courtmacsherry, ARGADEEN 1939

ERnie

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

North & East Wall video uploaded today in 5  x 3 minute parts from June 2001 featuring  223 assembling a Cork liner which includes some fertiliser wagons, loads of containers. First section is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/47174803542/in/dateposted-public/

A few more photos also uploaded.

Ernie

Interesting scenes. Especially liked the craven set in the far background moving on the elevated track section. Some of the tippex baby GMs were not that dirty.

Eeek! Wow - Underneath those cement bubble wagons really does look like the underside detail of the IRM wagons. Knew one day that superb hidden detail would see the bright light of day eventually. 

Wonder what caused what happened? The track ahead looks well buckled suggesting heavy braking of a heavyily laden train immediately prior to the derailment. Will Tara Junction be the first layout to model this scene? :) 

Ps they definitely look 21mm gauge 

Edited by Noel

On 2/27/2019 at 11:02 AM, Noel said:

Interesting scenes. Especially liked the craven set in the far background moving on the elevated track section. Some of the tippex baby GMs were not that dirty.

Could be wrong, but they look like Mk2's to me Noel. 

• 3 weeks later...

First! Flickr videos are now playing again.

Second , I am working through the latest  acquisitions . Here are a few I am stuck on, they may be North Kerry judging by other  views although there are also others identified on the Bandon, Loughrea, Ballaghadareen and Clara lines.

186 on the special  is September 68

Thanks

PS The first one I think is Patrickswell . The tanks on the back are from Foynes I think. PPS Pretty sure the 3rd one down is Ballinrobe. PPPS 4th one with 139 I think is on the Kenmare branch, it may even be at Kenmare. I have added a further view (5th one) which looks like the same train at Kenmare.

ERnie

img140.jpg

img146.jpg

img148.jpg

img149.jpg

Kenmareimg139.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

Bubbles bubbles toil and trouble.......

Didn't know where to post this and hope to dig some more up over the next few days.

Bubbles.thumb.jpg.c30fdc79df1d0080947da4f9bcc4832e.jpg

something i can model,, it looks very like my layout after the kids ....

• Funny 2

Ernie

You've set a good puzzle here with your post of 22 March. Just to prove that I'm Irish, I'll try and identify them in reverse order!

The last photo of the five (J15 139)  is definitely Kenmare, looking from the end of the line - the signal cabin at the far end with the little hut in front is the giveaway. It appears in a photo by the late Lance King with No.133.

The other photo of 139 is almost certainly at one of the stations on the Kenmare branch, but which one?

The third photo of an ex MGWR L(m?) Class 0-6-0 is NOT at Loughrea (which has a similar building), or Ballaghdareen, or Ballina, or Edenderry  - all of which had very different station buildings - which, I think, leaves Ballinrobe?

So, find my copy of The Baronial Lines and Hey Presto - several photos which show that distinctive station building behind the train, which has just arrived from Claremorris. The small building on the right of the photo in the distance is the signal box.

Now, the photo of No.186 in 1968 - that was a puzzle as in those days I did every RPSI tour - but I didn't remember her going down the Cork line - which is where I thought this photo was taken. The answer is that this is the IRRS special, hauled by 186 on 29.9.68 when she ran Kingsbridge to Kilkenny.

Believe it or not, she was deputising for 184 which was still on CIE's books, and had been used in the making of Darlin' Lily that year, but simply was in no condition to pull a train! She had to wait for her full restoration for the making of The First Great Train Robbery before she could do that (and how!).

Can't help much further than that - I can't match the station building in the background with any station on the main line (the tour stopped at Sallins and Kildare), so it may be down the Carlow line? From Lance King's notebooks, I see that he took photos at Athy (not there), Mageney, Carlow, Muine Bheag, Gowran, on the way to Kilkenny; Milford and Carlow Beet siding on the return. I'm sure Mr Beaumont will have the answer!

Finally - the photo of No.161 certainly looks like Patrickswell - there's a photo of the restored station building on the Net and it looks exactly like the building in the photo.

Heavens - that's two hours gone - but an enjoyable bit of ferreting - I have six books open beside me now!

Great collection, Ernie - keep spending money buying them!

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646