Happy Birthday Kildare Commuter Rail!

Rate this topic

The rail service, then known as the ‘Arrow’, began operating on May 16 1994, a date that also marked the reopening of Sallins, Hazelhatch and Clondalkin stations along with the opening of a new station at Cherry Orchard.

To mark the occasion I've put together a photographic collection of the route over the last 20 years.

Click As part of the Kildare Commuter Route, 17 new DMUs, the 2600 Class, were purchased for the service. Delivery of these vehicles was on Monday 14th February 1994, three months before services commenced. The 2600 Class were the first railway vehicles built in the Far East for use in Europe. 

2605 is off loaded from MV Envoyager at Dublin Port. Mon 14.02.94

Photo courtesy of Iarnrod Eireann. to view.

Here's to another 20 and beyond!

Dublin%20Port%20Offload-M.jpg

2600-Class%2004%20-%202603%20at%20Heuston%2016.05.94-M.jpg

DSC_3239-M.jpg

Enjoy,

The Wanderer.

To mark the occasion I've put together a photographic collection of the route over the last 20 years.

Click As part of the Kildare Commuter Route, 17 new DMUs, the 2600 Class, were purchased for the service. Delivery of these vehicles was on Monday 14th February 1994, three months before services commenced. The 2600 Class were the first railway vehicles built in the Far East for use in Europe. 

2605 is off loaded from MV Envoyager at Dublin Port. Mon 14.02.94

Photo courtesy of Iarnrod Eireann. to view.

great collection of pics spanning those years Neil - thanks for posting! i remember when the arrow service was extended to portlaoise- there was great excitement:)

Great collection of photo's Wanderer. Having relied on this service to travel to school, college and now work these photo's bring back some good memories. It used to be nice to see a new railcar type taking over every few years or so. It's funny how the 'Arrow' branding has stuck though; I often hear people still refer to it as the 'Arrow' service even though it hasn't been in use for several years!