Possible uk to Irish loco?

Rate this topic

Excellent! Ideal for a line based on Tralee - Limerick - Collooney, or Limerick - Waterford.

Model of Birdhill - Killaloe, anyone? Overall roof an' all.....

Rework the cab "window", file off the coal bunker rails, dip it in a pot if grey paint, and away you go. Better still, fully lined WLWR maroon....

It's also very similar to a GNRI JT class if you made a new cab for it.

Was thinking similar myself. There's a shapeways body for the JT class available too. Wonder if the Bachmann tank would be suitable as a chassis donor? Think'd I'd have a bash sorting the cab out instead to guarantee a nicer finish.

How about Irelands largest class of 2-4-2T GSR F1 & 2? Class F 1 - 438 - D&SER 2-4-2T - built 1909 by Grand Canal Street Works as No.30 ST IBERIUS - 1925 to GSR as No.438 - 1930 rebuilt with round top boiler, 1933 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1937 rebuilt with round top bolier, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1952. Large choice of livery DSER lined black, GSR Gray, CIE lined green worked Dublin suburban trains from the early 1900s to the 1950s, one seems to have been a long term resident on the West Cork another loaned to the BCDR during the Second World War.

Colm Flannigan.

The above mentioned Gentleman has manufactured two locomotives for me from UK Models. Colm, can you add details if required please! NCC No 4 from an LMS Hornby Parallel Boiler Loco. GNR No 85 from a Hornby Schools. Both models will be available for inspection at Perth Model Railway Exhibition (In cabinets in entrance forum) and at Falkirk Model Railway Show where Old Blarney will be exhibited-- weather permitting. (it is held in November).

Correct, minister. One class ex WLWR, one Macroom.

In the middle of a house move, that's all that memory tells me, and I can't look up where they ended up due to all my "stuff" being in storage!

Both started life as WL&WR Robinson locos (named Derry Castle/Lough Derg)....not sure about converting to DSER locos, far more bodging to be done around tanks and look less graceful to my eye than the L&Y/WL&WR ones. On the con side, there were only 2 and didn't survive into CIE days.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Right, you lot have just cost me seventy quid! A bit of cutting and a slap of grey paint sounds like a fair plan to me...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13531[/ATTACH]

Looking forward to your workbench thread Broithe. At least we'll be garaunteed plenty pics.... :P R

Hi all,

Glad the JT seems to have been well received via the thread on RMWEB. It's my design on shapeways, and my build on RMWEB. The loco has plasticard overlays on the tanks with all of the rivet detail. The WSF material finish actually helps with this, as it gives something for the superglue to key into.

It actually has a 3d printed chassis, as well as 3d printed - brass - connecting rods. Runs very nicely. I've another under construction at present, No.93, however it's on a bit of a back burner at present due to other projects. I decided not to print the chimney, dome, smokebox etc, as there are better brass castings available elsewhere to complete. I can list these if anyone is particularly interesting.

I think the L & Y tank may not work well as a surrogate JT. The JT is actually quite a short loco, whilst the L& Y one seems quite a bit longer.

Regards

Richard.

Personally the standard of finish on current rtr British models is so high I would be loath to re-painting or modifying a current Hornby or Bachmann loco into an Irish model. I think it would be a bit like re=painting a Heljan Class 26 or 33 in CIE colours and calling it an A Class.

Apart from the Jinty & Woolwich and a few industrials none of the Irish locos were really close enough to a British Mainland design to use a rtr model or kit without major modification.

Although I am more inclined to scratchbuild I would have less qualms about using a second hand model or a kit, the old GEM LNWR 2-4-2T show up on E-Bay the DSER used the 4'6" version the 5'6" tank looks very close to the WLWR/CMDR locos http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEM-WEBB-LNWR-LMS-2-4-2T-Locomotive-OO-Gauge-/321427013942?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad68b0136

Since Bachmann first announced this model in 2012, I wondered about the possibility of doing a "Northern Irish" model, as that is my thing.

The Belfast & County Down Railway had a number of 2-4-2 tanks and a larger number of 4-4-2s. To cut a long story short the model is too big for the 2-4-2 but about the right size for the 4-4-2 locos (but has one very obvious difference - it isn't actually a 4-4-2!!)

For all that, I wondered if might pass muster as a sort of "amalgam" of the two, and recently did a repaint and slight modification to one, just to see if had a "County Down" look. The result is below; (the coaches are by Bachmann from their US "Thomas range"). I've built a couple of other B&CDR 4-4-2s from kits but they can't be easily made from any r-t-r so far produced. This would be the closest so far. It might be possible to use the Bachmann mechanism (which, as others have pointed out, is a lovely runner) as the basis for a more or less scratch built 4-4-2 body etc., but that's another story altogether.

Colm Flanagan

BCDR No 1 and train  country s.jpg