1970s Hunslet Enterprise formations

Rate this topic

UP6936

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had details of enterprise formations from the 1970s when in maroon and blue?

Don't need coach numbers or anything, just the types of coaches in the rake and number thereof when the train was running as a PushPull with a Hunslet?

Thanks

Old Blarney at Falkirk Exhibition - November 2014.

Weather permitting, I plan to run, on Old Blarney, my two maroon Hunslet Locomotives with their matching coaches in Top and Tail formation, and also run this train in its winter formation. One locomotive, five coaches and a driving trailer at the opposite end. Both two locomotives are fitted with sound decoders, so come, listen and comment.

I shall also have GM's 111, 112 and 8113, each fitted with sound, pulling NIR Stock in Grey/blue and the livery used prior to the introduction of the De Deitrich Stock.

QUESTION 1 - Did NIR ever use these locomotives, 111,112, 8113 and their associated rolling stock with a driving trailer at the opposite end to the locomotive?

QUESTION II - If Yes, was the locomotive at the "up" end - Dublin or the "Down" end Belfast?

Question III - Am I correct in stating the 201 class never ran with a Driving trailer prior, yes prior to thee introduction of the De Deitrich?

David J White.

Old Blarney, question 1: No. Question 3: Yes.

Hunslets generally ran singly in push/pull mode with a set of 5 carriages (typically winter), and topped / tailed six or more usually seven in the summer.

Five was the recommended maximum for one locomotive. Hunslets were underpowered for the work they were called upon to do, and nothing like as satisfactory as CIE's 121 / 141 / recently introduced 181 classes. NIR would have preferred a trio of 181s, but political pressure was put on them by the Stormont Government to "buy British". Thus was borne one of Ireland's more unusual diesel classes!

Modellers: imagine a maroon and blue 1970 Mk 2 set with a maroon 181!

• Agree 1

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had details of enterprise formations from the 1970s when in maroon and blue?

Don't need coach numbers or anything, just the types of coaches in the rake and number thereof when the train was running as a PushPull with a Hunslet?

Thanks

UP6936-great question and there are a number of answers to it that some of the guys have already mentioned above.At the start of the Hunslet operation in 1970,NIR used the Hunslets top and tail with all 8 coaches which comprised 2x std driving trailers,1x first open,4x second opens and the buffet car.This soon reduced to 7 coaches with 1 coach held in reserve,normally a second open.A reduced winter formation was also used as mentioned by David,which was 1 Hunslet with up to 5 or 6 coaches in push/pull formation,again this would have had the std driving trailer,first open,buffet and 2 to 3 open seconds.6 coaches seemed to become the norm,although this was a tad heavy for 1 Hunslet.In 1972,more coaches were purchased,1 of which was a 1st driving trailer,which thus meant the winter formation started to comprise of it,the buffet and 3 std opens,which was a bit more manageable for the 1 Hunslet.As with all things on NIR,this was never set in stone...With the extra coaches,a 10 coach set and a 12 coach set were tried,but this was not a success and was soon dropped.As Colin pointed out,the driving trailer was normally at the Belfast end as this suited facilities at Great Victoria Street,but again there were exceptions to this also...Hope this helps.

I'm not the best informed on the train formation, been living in Scotland since 1954, and finally left Dublin in 1960. However, logically, I believe your train formation to be plausible. There is photographic evidence on this site of a seven coach formation, yes seven, with one Hunslet at the Dublin (UP) end of the train.

Thanks Hunslet 102, that's exactly the information I needed. Getting a Hunslet Push Pull is my 'summer project' as such. Already got the dvt converted from a standard brake and just need to accumulate the other vehicles. I bought a silverfox Hunslet a while back and I must say it's a lovely model

yes all the coaches carried their numbers into the silver grey and blue livery driving trailers were 811 812 813, standard coaches were 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 with 801 1st 547 being the dining car.... Just while I remember a friend of mine has offered a Hunslet kit up for sale hes looking £60 plus post anyone interested? Colin.