Heljan DP2

Rate this topic

Some pictures of the new Heljan DP2 Prototype diesel that arrived today (I have a thing for the one-off proto diesels!)

Now these models have come in for a bit of criticism around the cab roof area, as supposedly the cab roof should taper inwards, something that the Heljan DP2 doesn't do. DP2 was essentially a class 50 prototype using a Deltic bodyshell. I can see what the critics mean, but have been unable to find my Bachmann Deltic to take a comparison shot.

Still, it isn't a deal breaker for me though, and something I can live with. People have been championing the Bachmann Deltic recently compared to this, but the Bachmann Deltic is probably one of their weakest models. The nose shape looks a bit wrong to me, printed panel lines and horrid bogies. DP2 has no printed panel lines thankfully, and sits on its bogies beautifully;

Overall I have to say I'm pretty happy with her, Heljan was even kind enough to send me two limited edition certs!

018.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Fran should the grab rails be on the door arches as opposed to the doors as portrayed on the model. It looks to sit low on it's bogies like the prototype did so that's a plus point. Being a Heljan loco I would say it runs smoothly and quietly. The wheel flanges look very fine, almost P4 like.

Rich,

I noticed the handrails after I put the pics up Rich, and they do go into the doors on the model, schoolboy error!

The flanges are very fine, I'm guessing it's to do with the design of the bogies and using scale sized wheels (as opposed to using small wheels like Hornby did on their 50)