Richrua's workbench

Rate this topic

richrua

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a small branch line type station. I found this polystyrene roll useful as underlay. On one side it has a durable paper which accepts paint and glue happily. At £10 for 5m2 it is cheap too. Next will be dropper wiring and ballast . Also some buildings of course

I was looking for an Irish signal cabin. Thought I had one but it didnt work out. Mammy always said neccessity is the mother of invention, so i made a start on making my own. One of the things I like about the GNR I is the unique buildings. I came across an old photo on google of knockmore signal cabin. A unique building in many ways - no big window on this one. 2437019_08566c50.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to convert my Silver Fox A class to dcc using this as the chassis. As recommended by enniscorthy man. The lima chassis motor i got was so poor compared to modern machines. what a difference 30 years makes! Almost seems a shame to chop this one. it is in good nick for a second hander.20141017_195400.jpg

You may wish to consider using two motor bogies for your A Class. The difference in traction is immense. Tidy paint job on the A and some intricate work on the Cabin. Lots of people buy St Paddy for the chassis, I must have loads of bodies, if there is a market for them please let me know.

... Lots of people buy St Paddy for the chassis ...

Hi Kirley, forgive my ignorance but what is 'St Paddy' for chassis, do you mean an MM 071 Co-Co chassis? Can you buy MM chassis on their own or are there similar all wheel dual bogie drive bachmann chassis that suit. I enquired about an RTR Silver fox A class but they don't sell with dual bogie drive option. Thanks. Noel

what is 'St Paddy' for chassis,

I think the Hornby Class 55 model you bought has the name plate "St Paddy". I was suggesting using two Class 55 motor bogies. On my Work Bench Page 39 you can see the results of a lot of trials and tribulations I had in getting it right.

Hi Noel,

St Paddy is a Hornby Railroad loco number R2879. The guys here recommended it to me for my A Class (after I had discovered a Lima Class 55 chassis was a very por runner by modern standards). As Kirley says, it can be converted fairly easlily to suit the a class kit from silver fox models. Just Chop a section out of the middle and a little trim.

The St Paddy chassis also comes with an 8 pin dcc socket, which makes things easy if you want digital control.

You may wish to consider using two motor bogies for your A Class. The difference in traction is immense. Tidy paint job on the A and some intricate work on the Cabin. Lots of people buy St Paddy for the chassis, I must have loads of bodies, if there is a market for them please let me know.

It is worth sticking the bodies on eBay, starting at £5.00 or thereabouts, and see what happens. I fund my railway by selling 'junk', so there should be no problem in selling your Hornby Deltic bodies.