Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

Xmas 2015 is only a couple of weeks before the beginning of 2016 so the two indications are not a millions miles apart. I'll be here when it's here I suppose but it seems safe to say that we wont see it until the 201s and mk2s are all made.

€900,000 retail costs / run of 5000= c. €180 each, sounds about right given the increase in costs that Bachy et al have had to pony up from China.

Irregardless of the validity of the timeline mentioned, what would I like in my collection?

Original grey yellow

Black and tan

CIE

IR

IE 124 and 136

and a FILTHY durty IE

c.€1,000 the lot...youch.

A twin pack of 124 and 134 in the condition that they last ran in would be sweet. Blanked out cab windows. You could run them as a pair, or pair one with a baby for a bit of variety.

Rich,

Why did IE blank off those centre windows?

It's a question I raised before....

Basically entails a chunk of people pre-buying their locos a year or two in advance to ensure they get made...

I think the problem with this would be 'what if the company go bust in the meantime?' and if the answer is no then it could be messy to send all the money back to those who ponied up. And personally I wouldn't part with cash until I've seen at least a test model in case there's a major accuracy blunder.

An alternative is do as smaller companies in the US and Canada do like Rapido Trains. Set a deadline and say that if the company receives x amount of preorders in that time then the project will go ahead, if not hard luck! As far as I know they don't take deposits but maybe this would be an option.

As much as I'd love a few 121s, at the same time I'm not in much of a hurry. The reason being is that once PM releases the 121s where do we go from there? Is that it from PM. Do we get the MM treatment for a future A and C class maybe.

The same source said that the A class was being considered by Mr Murphy as a follow on project.

a pack of 124 and 134 with one being a dummy unit would be a good idea I think, may also help keep the cost down a little without the second set of running gear.

I said that a while ago in a separate thread. However it appears it doesn't cost very much less to make a dummy unit compared to a powered one

A dummy unit would actually cost more than one with a motor

Sounds silly I know but is has to do with a different chassis being produced for the dummy,

The new mouldings dye alone would almost set off the cost of the motor

It was looked at and it has been declared a non runner (sorry!)

God the wallet is still recovering from the 071s,and I would

like 077 as well as one CIE livery.That said the 121s are a

Very nice prospect.Such a nice sight when double headed.

I picked up a 210 for a nice price on Sunday - a chap had been given it as a present by somebody who thought it was 'a nice colour' - which it obviously is - but, it didn't really fit on a GWR layout.

I might still have to get a grey 071 yet, though...

A twin pack of 124 and 134 in the condition that they last ran in would be sweet. Blanked out cab windows. You could run them as a pair, or pair one with a baby for a bit of variety.

Rich,

Not sure about condition, but 124/134 will be in IE livery, hopefully with LED lights. 5 liveries for the 121 too, doubt PM will do every body variant but other things to remember are that when they were delivered they did not have the handrails along the 'bonnet'. Lots of mould differences and they are not cheap

Ed, I would imagine the early ones would be modelled without handrails wouldn't they? As these are, I think, separately fitted parts

remember when paddy brought out the new grey livery 071? he couldnt remove the grab raild on the cab as it would have to be retooled. same applies to fittimg them i would imagine.....just my humble opinionyellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gif

remember when paddy brought out the new grey livery 071? he couldnt remove the grab raild on the cab as it would have to be retooled. same applies to fittimg them i would imagine.....just my humble opinion[ATTACH=CONFIG]13700[/ATTACH]

I'd say if the Grey 071s were about before the models came out it might have been different.

For the 121s I'd say it would be a modular design like the baby GMs, a couple of different sills (one to accommodate the handrail stanchions, one for the early versions without them) a couple of different cab mouldings to cater for lights, blanked out windows etc.)

Ed, I would imagine the early ones would be modelled without handrails wouldn't they? As these are, I think, separately fitted parts

Yup but the holes were they go would remain. No doubt Ill find something to improve on, even if its just personal preference........eg I detest the wipers on the 071's, overscale imo

I want to get an 071 . Funds only just allow for one. My heart says black and orange. Or maybe black and silver. BUt my head keeps saying grey. Cant decide.

Get 073, it's the best factory weathered loco out of the box I have seen. That and 088 in GM golden brown are my two top 071s of the lot. 078 and 085 annoy me with their black tablet catcher mounts, they were never black in their modeled liveries and won't get them because of that.

Edited by Railer