Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

The Hasler box shown in the picture above seems a bit more sophisticated than those fitted to 121's etc., which just appear to have gearing driving a cable leading to the speedo in the cab.

This would be the current model from them but I do not know if that is used on any of the more current rolling stock. I couldn't retrieve their 1960s version in the archives (since we barely had computers or internet). Anyway just to give a flavor for what it was. As you say, obviously mechanical way back then

Are we in danger of nit picking and raising expectations to unrealistic levels?

It's free enterprise market - so once the 121s are on the shelves and folk have had a chance to examine them, they will vote or not with their wallets. Minor details such as paint trim variations should be straight forward for modellers to adjust if they feel the need to.

Personally I enjoy the discussion regarding the models from an educational standpoint. The model will be good no doubt but will be a model after all. I'd like to get it/them as close to the real thing(s) as much as possible so I don't need to fiddle with it if I don't choose to do so.

I fully agree with you Skinner. I really look forward to running one with a 141, with the 141 leading of course.

Me too! For me these are things of beauty and I'll get one of each

Edited by DiveController

One of the main retailers here in Ireland, told me when the baby GMs went on sale years ago, he had a number of clients who bought one of every single running number available from him, and one client bought four of every running number. Who in the world would want that many locos unless they have a tennis court sized layout, or are trader/collectors hoping to make a few bob profit in the future when the models are out of production? :confused: I don't get it.

I am lucky to have eight baby GMs, four 071s, a single 201, and hoping to buy three or four 121s next year when they are on sale, but I won't be buying one of every livery or every running number. Hopefully over time 2xB&T 1xIR and possibly 1xGrey, which will nicely complement the existing GM fleet on the layout.

And your point is? I was one of those type you refer too i ve multiples of all the IE livery 141/181 & a few of the ir livery ones did you ever hear of renumbering?

For what i want in my layout i ll have them running in multiple with other baby gms and i ain t going to apologise for reaching into my wallet and taking a wad of my hard earned foldy notes to pay for them. I ve also done the same with subsequent murphy models releases such as the 071 & 201, when the 121's come out there ll be at least six new additions to my lot but knowing me there s bound to be one or two more sneaking in.

Im not a collector, if i like them i ll buy them and normally do a little work on them to make them look like the way i remember them :) & when my house moving days are over they ll have a bigish layout to roam around on

Edited by Riversuir226

Looking at the forthcoming 121 and a few other available gems on these boards, I am submitting a planning application to the Dept. of Redeemed Brownie Points, Domestic and Household Affairs, for a branch line of 00 gauge, to be constructed under the provisions of the 1889 Light railways (Ireland) Act.

I'm not sure, though, if the Ministeress of Domestic Matters has ever heard of Balfour.......

I think my 009 collection is going to have to be sold.

True, Weshty, true...... Tis a case of "be careful what you wish for"....... well, if she did, I could have subcontracted part of Chapter 1 of "Rails Through Connemara" to her....

Incidentally, if anyone's interested in 009 / Austrian, I joined the 009 Society and the Austrian Railways Group many harvests ago and find them both very helpful. If you're selling or buying any 009 stuff, the 009 Society negotiates mass discounts etc., and like minded members will always be interested in anything you have to sell.

As always, the dilemma is - track wise, an interesting and intricate 9mm gauge layout, albeit of foreign basis, or a domestically-based 00 gauge which in the space I have will be little better than a fiddle yard / shunting terminus thing. Jury's still out. Meantime, I'm getting a grey 121 just in case.

I like that , in the midst of a fog of confusion, peace reigns in the acquisition of a 121 !:D

dave

I'm holding out for IRM's 404 due in 2025 to commemorate the opening of the Cork-Dublin HST404 sets expected to run at 404kph to compete with self drive hydrogen cars on the M8a. :)

Unless they improve the track, they'll only do 367 kph....

Rail Ireland , formed in 2020, announced their new high speed services to cork, 1 hour station to station , commuters however complained that the 5 hours negotiating Dublin's traffic was a problem, as was the 30 minutes walk at Hueston to platform 20

I'm holding out for IRM's 404 due in 2025 to commemorate the opening of the Cork-Dublin HST404 sets expected to run at 404kph to compete with self drive hydrogen cars on the M8a. :)

Haha:ROFL:

Rail Ireland , formed in 2020, announced their new high speed services to cork, 1 hour station to station , commuters however complained that the 5 hours negotiating Dublin's traffic was a problem, as was the 30 minutes walk at Hueston to platform 20

=D

Edited by DiveController

• 3 weeks later...

In recent weeks I have encountered a fair number of colour photos of grey 121s in connection with a forthcoming book. Something quite interesting emerges in relation to their livery. The pictures concerned are all from when these engines were absolutely brand new, and clearly show NO lining round the numerals and "snail". This is at variance with conventional wisdom that they were lined!

Somebody here post a pic of one clearly showing black lining. At the time this surprised me as I don't remember black, but you can't argue with a photo. I had seen pictures in the past of them with WHITE lining.

So - we have CLEAR photographic evidence that grey 121s had, at times, no lining; white lining and black lining. I wonder is it a bit like modern grey 071s or Enterprise stuff, where no two examples seem to have the same font, same exact position, etc. of numerals?

Modern variations in lettering, logos etc look more like just laziness, but in the past - certainly in 1961 - absolute uniformity was the norm.

Wee they deliver u blinded, and maybe some examples got black lining, others white? Two got r buffer beams - we know that.

Any thoughts or ideas? Such is doubtless relevant to the finish that will be on the production models.

Well you had some As and Cs in green, some in ( filthy ) silver, steamers in dirty grey(except Meadbh and Macha) or black, or grey with black smokeboxes! You can see why blackntan was introduced in 62!

So yeah. It was the crazy period with 20 different liveries, like today...

Ah here, JB... some people posted pics here previously of grey 121s without the lining and you insisted the lining was there and just hard to see. :P

I know, Garfield! There's always something new to find out - the photos I saw over the weekend make it clear. Now, it's quite possible that lining was added before they entered traffic, as the pics show them "just out of the box".

The silver and green liveries followed each other, i.e. silver first, then repainted into green, and steam engines were mostly the same colour 1915-63, so the actual existence of variety isn't the same thing. the 121s were only grey until first repaint (into B'n'T), so it puzzles me as to why there seem to not two, or three - but counting red buffer beams - FOUR detail variations of the one short-lived delivery scheme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been known to happen :D but wasnt the red buffer beam applied by one depot? Grand canal dock maybe? So it's possible that the lining was done by depots, rather than centrally at Inchicore, with the resultant variation in choice of white/black?

Could be, UP; I'm not sure.

Limerick and Cork had a habit of having their own variations livery wise - for example, coaches in the pre-55 dark green with no lining at all, but two snails (Cork; on two Bandon bogies) or no snails either (Limerick; on some West Clare vehicles).

I would have thought that the red buffer beams were Inchicore origin, but I don't know for sure. As to the lining, I remain puzzled!

For a bit of individuality why not model an essential addition to the MU piping? ie a bit of rope as per this:

Waterford 127'129 Oct2000 a905

127+129 Limerick to Rosslare Harbour Oct 2000.

Ernie

That's actually odd, usually the MU cable is connected over the vaccuum hoses or pipe to keep it up out of the way. They had to do that with the 201s until they modified the position of the MU socket higher up to stop the cable disconnecting from Mk3 pushpull stock while running over sharp points and turns.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed that the 121s had no lamp holders when they were unloaded, covered in 'duct tape', at North Wall. They were then mounted on the buffer beam for a long time afterwards. It looks like they stayed there through all livery changes until the marker lights were changed to LEDS when they moved to a position above the light clusters.

Edited by DiveController

I just noticed that the 121s had no lamp holders when they were unloaded, covered in 'duct tape', at North Wall. They were then mounted on the buffer beam for a long time afterwards. It looks like they stayed there through all livery changes until the marker lights were changed to LEDS when they moved to a position (of the lamp holders to above the light clusters.

...or at least that's what I thought until I came across this in Ernie Brack's Flickr archive of 129 about 2000 in IE livery. These are not the last LEDS marker lights but also don't seem to be the originals, but a square ?replacement with incandescent bulbs. In any case, the lamp holders are no longer on the buffer beam

b Limerick Jc 129'127 on Rosslare train Oct 2000 a814

Edited by DiveController

..... and since we're on the subject of marker lights on 121s, this seems to be another variant with red lights on the cab end of 123 above the extant originals. Another great shot form Ernies archive just sitting at Limerick Junction for the day

a Limerick Jc 129'123 Timber mts off Waterford May2000 a728

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/15095259504/in/album-72157646594210844/

So when you consider the presence or absence of cab windows on the bonnet side of the cab, variations in the size of the main windows, lamp holders, marker light variations, and the grilles beneath the walkways on the sides, there's quite a lot to re-model if anyone is so inclined to do so.

Incidentally, I'm confused why it's been so quiet on the site lately. I'm assuming that there has been an unscheduled failure of the Irish cloud layer and an isolated sunbeam has hit the emerald isle causing mass panic in fair-skinned Celts,

IMG_0295.jpg

....or Irish modeling is now entering summer recess?

Looks like 128 also had these additional lights on the cab end in 1998

Limerick City 128 & 176 jun1998 s620

Edited by DiveController
Additional link added

..... and since we're on the subject of marker lights on 121s, this seems to be another variant with red lights on the cab end of 123 above the extant originals. Another great shot form Ernies archive just sitting at Limerick Junction for the day

a Limerick Jc 129'123 Timber mts off Waterford May2000 a728

So when you consider the presence or absence of cab windows on the bonnet side of the cab, variations in the size of the main windows, lamp holders, marker light variations, and the grilles beneath the walkways on the sides, there's quite a lot to re-model if anyone is so inclined to do so.

Incidentally, I'm confused why it's been so quiet on the site lately. I'm assuming that there has been an unscheduled failure of the Irish cloud layer and an isolated sunbeam has hit the emerald isle causing mass panic in fair-skinned Celts,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24069[/ATTACH]

....or Irish modeling is now entering summer recess?

The weather wasnt actually that bad till a few days ago..

My internet was down for a while, followed by the iPad and laptop died respectively..

I'd say they all got bored without my nonsensical ramblings and pointless facts...:D

But now I'm back....

Edited by GSR 800

• 1 month later...

Website says:

First, the news everybody has been waiting for - Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in

Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intendeded that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

So I guess we'll see samples in October, with stock somewhere after of IE and Grey, with the rest to follow later in 2017...

Website says:

First, the news everybody has been waiting for - Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in

Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intendeded that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

So I guess we'll see samples in October, with stock somewhere after of IE and Grey, with the rest to follow later in 2017...

Aargh! I have to wait until next year for the Supertrain livery! Never mind,great news all the same......