Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

• 1 year later...

Another year passes but unfortunately no sign of an MM 121 even in pre-production form making an appearance at Raheny. MM web site updated just last month makes no mention of it. I’m beginning to wonder if it might ever happen. Little to complain about perhaps given the superb MM/Bachmann baby GMs and MM 071 transformed the Irish hobby. 

37 minutes ago, Noel said:

Another year passes but unfortunately no sign of an MM 121 even in pre-production form making an appearance at Raheny. MM web site updated just last month makes no mention of it. I’m beginning to wonder if it might ever happen. Little to complain about perhaps given the superb MM/Bachmann baby GMs and MM 071 transformed the Irish hobby. 

He's just waiting for the lads in Inchicore and the RPSI to finish off restoring 134. 😉

There's bet on which 121 will release first. 🤣 134 is due to haul it's first tour in RPSI ownership in March or April 2019.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Railer said:

He's just waiting for the lads in Inchicore and the RPSI to finish off restoring 134. 😉

There's bet on which 121 will release first. 🤣 134 is due to haul it's first tour in RPSI ownership in March or April 2019.

Hope so.  Otherwise 121 models may end up being produced in familiar 'Green' packaging from another stable. :) :) Or a 'two' pack consisting of a 121 and an A class. 😎

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Nice sentiments Noel

Why dont you take it on

When you hear the facts about this project you will change your tune  🤬🤬

Have to agree with this sentiment Dave, when you sit on this side of the ditch and you learn of the sheer level of work, detail, money and dedication required to do a model, it is only then you can fully appreciate what a herculean task it is, even if it's a humble wagon, let alone a loco with complex detail variations such as a 121. The projects are simply huge and need a large degree of practicality, and while I cannot (and would not) speak for Paddy, I'm sure he wants the project to market more than anyone. We can see that ourselves in IRM, with none of us having a day off from trains since we started, and there are four of us. Paddy is a one man band, and has a fantastic track record of locos that he has done himself. As you allude to, surprises can pop out of nowhere to delay everything (as we have seen with the Taras and our UK Cemflo wagons) and there will be seriously good reasons to explain these delays, that I have no doubt about. These kind of comments can be most discouraging sometimes, but I guess it's the modern age we live in. Thankfully we get overwhelming support from customers and we are delighted to receive it as it motivates us to keep going. 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 8

4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Nice sentiments Noel

Why dont you take it on

When you hear the facts about this project you will change your tune  🤬🤬

I hear you Dave, but it is a business after all rather than an altruistic operation. The "facts" are the private information of the business which has to manage its own affairs. Customers are focused on deliverables rather than stories how ever unexpected or surprising. I have been a very happy customer of MM, and expressed high praise for many of their past products, but is it not reasonable for "customers" to express disappointment when delivery expectations are not met by an extremely wide margin, especially when little information has been offered?

By contrast IRM have been excellent at keeping customers in the loop and managing expectations should any issue occur or change in delivery schedules. I agree it is worthy for customers to praise excellent products and top quality service, but by the same token it seems reasonable for customers to be equally entitled to express disappointment when delivery schedules have not meet expectations. Anyway I'm happy to leave it there, and wish MM well in their future endeavours. I hope the 121 does come to market, proves successful for the business, and is enjoyed by their customers. :) 

• Like 3

I have to agree with Noel that all we are looking for is some communication with customers about a model that has been announced.  No criticism of MM is inferred nor any underestimation of the considerable work involved in bringing the 121 project to fruition.  A simple "the model has been delayed" would suffice if it was accompanied by a statement that the project was still progressing. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Talking to paddy at the show he is optimistic we will see the 121 shortly I would be happy to wait a while to get a proper loco done then to go back to the days of a repainted class 33 with the likes of murphy models and now Irish railway models it wont be long till every loco wagon  emu dmu and passenger carriage are produced for us all as time goes on

• Like 3

Slightly OT but having 3 part built 80 s , 2 XCastle/450 / A and C class in various states  plus a resin 121 and  a donor 141 then I would think these will a be RTR  within a decade or so given my finishing rate....

Agreed it will be fun with the 121 when it comes - I might just have to have two and use my resin one on a push pull set with the loco as a dummy !

Robert   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I was talking to a man from Wexford St,  just shooting the breeze

He has met with a man from China recently

It was in relation to the PCB board for the 121

So many small variants with lights on these locos

They reckon they have sorted out the different configurations

Should have a pre production sample in the next couple of months, hopefully by early June at the latest

All things going well they will then go into full production and should be with us September/Early October

He said I wasn't to tell anyone........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Funny 3

Good news then ! PCB design is a quite an advanced affair with DCC considerations , stay alive capacitor and head lights and motor control - a big leap from just a few years ago. I have seen UK companies boards go from a few poor diodes to a slab of electronics that looks like a miniature city from the future.  Given the power of mobile phones - more power than the lunar module I imagine the 121 board will be a complex bit of design and kit for our benefit.  

Off to start looking at ways to save up money for one of these, or may be two.- A good way to lose weight !

Robert       

• Like 1

Wrenneire wrote

"All things going well they will then go into full production and should be with us September/Early October"

Should be enough time to get the wife into shape before she goes on EBAY.

Sellers on EBAY always seem to exaggerate the condition of their items also some have a no returns policy.

What can go wrong....?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, spudfan said:

Wrenneire wrote

"All things going well they will then go into full production and should be with us September/Early October"

Should be enough time to get the wife into shape before she goes on EBAY.

Sellers on EBAY always seem to exaggerate the condition of their items also some have a no returns policy.

What can go wrong....?

You must like living dangerously but at least you will go out in style..   

• Like 2