Murphy Models 121

Rate this topic

WT CLASS 2-6-4T No. 4

I remember Eamonn asking an interesting question on an older forum about how the issue with the steps could cause problems for the model when on curved track or small radius points. If the steps are a rigid fixture there would be very little room for the bogies to turn.

Rich,

• 1 year later...
I hope there will be an announcement at the Oct show.

They would compliment the baby GMs released so far, and would be of interest to a lot more people, as they cover such a large period of time.

I for one will be buying a couple of each livery variation that is released

Good news indeed if it comes to pass. I'd buy three, a pair and a single for PP, B&T of course. They were rare enough on Irish metal so I guess 3 would nicely complement our 141/181 fleet.

Edited by Noel

Good news indeed if it comes to pass. I'd buy three, a pair and a single for PP, B&T of course. They were rare enough on Irish metal so I guess 3 would nicely complement our 141/181 fleet.

I ll take 5 please, 3 IE livery, 1 IR livery & 1 silver/yellow..

The IR one will be weathered to an inch of its life and the silver/yellow is for the preserved train with a black and tan 141 for company. The rest will be paired up nose to nose and put on beet duties and the spare one will be twinned with a baby gm.

• 4 weeks later...
€900,000 retail costs / run of 5000= c. €180 each, sounds about right given the increase in costs that Bachy et al have had to pony up from China. ...snip...

Old tread but ...

Interesting a run of 5000? I doubt more than 2500-3000 would sell in the 1st five years. Can't see 5000 selling.

When you consider over 9000 141/181 models were produced which were commonly seen prototypes, I cannot see how the prototypically rarer 121s would sell in such high volume once the immediate back log of demand from enthusiasts is met. Sure there will be some collectors who wish to buy every livery combination, but I'd guess more typically folk will purchase two or three at most (e.g: one pair nose to tail, and one as a push pull). Don't intend to sound pessimistic, but there were only 15 x 121 class built whereas there were 49 x 141/181s which is a ratio of just over 3.2:1 (i.e. 9000 x 141/181 : 2800 x 121 models). I do hope they happen though and happy to wait until the numbers add up so that is it proves profitable for MM.

PS: Not even mentioning the 96 metrovics 60 of which ran most of the network for a generation.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting comparison might be how many B101 kits were produced / sold. Not quite the same, of course, as it's a kit - but - a kit can sometimes sell more because it's cheaper, but less because it's not RTR! There were 16 x B101, they were shorter lived, and travelled much less widely.

A Mallow - Waterford based layout (long overdue!) would need 121 and B101 classes, as these were the mainstays in the 1960s. Probably the only line where 141 and A classes were LESS common than these classes.

A good selection of goods vans, particularly the H, would also be needed.

Passenger stock was generally laminates in the 60s, with a few old Bredins and the odd wooden bogie. While I'm sure PRs went there, though no recollection as such, has anyone ever seen a picture of a Craven in a train consist on that line? Cravens appeared in 1963, and the line closed in 1967.

An interesting comparison might be how many B101 kits were produced / sold. Not quite the same, of course, as it's a kit - but - a kit can sometimes sell more because it's cheaper, but less because it's not RTR! There were 16 x B101, they were shorter lived, and travelled much less widely ... snip ...

In fairness one of the reasons folk go for RTR is quality - they usually look better than the average outcome of a kit built loco (excluding some master kit builders). I've never seen any kit built diesel loco of any class get within a mile of the quality of an MM 141, not even close (appearance + mechanical/operational performance).

A Waterford to Mallow layout, yes please :) .

On the 121's, they ran for the best part of 50 years in everyday service. Id easily would take 6 or more and i think the majority of active modellers for the era's that they ran in would buy the same amount and in some cases even more. During their careers they've probably covered most if not all of the post 1961 railways on the Island, have done just about every job on the network from express Cork to Dublin services to pw trains in their later years. Livery wise they ve carried quite a few liveries grey/yellow, black/tan, supertrain, ir black/orange & IE black/orange.

Theres plenty of choice and if your in any doubt look at the amount of 071/111 models were released, nearly the same amount of real life locos existed 21 071/111's v 15 121's.

As pointed out already they ran in quite a few formations, from on their own, in doubles with other 121's, 141's, 181's. Plus push pull modes with mk3's, old railcar units especially near where there is an existing strong modelling base ie Dublin and they also done mk3 p/p out of Cork as well for a few years.

For my lot id be looking at 4 IE livery, 2( prob 3) in Ir livery and will probably go for a grey/yellow as well.

Edited by Riversuir226

For me, a grey / yellow and a black'n'tan..... the rest's too modern for me!

Yip my favourite era - 3 x 121s for me: 2 B&Ts plus one grey/yellow for static display case in sitting room.

PS: Did any of the baby GMs ever get used for push/pull with converted AEC sets, or was that just C class?