Rapido Trains announce APT-E

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, even when I first saw the APT demonstrated on BBC tomorrows world all those decades ago, I thought the body looked rather dated even then. Especially for a unique and revolutionary piece of technology compared to the F16, F14 and Spaceshuttle all of which looked amazing for their day and still do. The almost timeless HST125 was obviously designed by an engineer with an eye for style and function.

I must say, even when I first saw the APT demonstrated on BBC tomorrows world all those decades ago, I thought the body looked rather dated even then. Especially for a unique and revolutionary piece of technology compared to the F16, F14 and Spaceshuttle all of which looked amazing for their day and still do. The almost timeless HST125 was obviously designed by an engineer with an eye for style and function.

I worked here at the time they were being tested and some time was spent stuck on the bend there -

- when the tilting mech failed on several occasions.

They did have a distinct "Gerry Anderson" look about them, even at the time.

I worked here at the time they were being tested and some time was spent stuck on the bend there -
- when the tilting mech failed on several occasions.

They did have a distinct "Gerry Anderson" look about them, even at the time.

LOL - That's the style "Gerry Anderson". The production APT looked somewhat better.

Thunderbirds041.jpg

At the time, I wasn't too interested in trains, or I could have got some good pictures of it through the fence - it often spent a day or two there whilst it was got back into a fit state to limp off and be 'fixed properly'.

There was also (still is) a footbridge there - there must be some pictures from that somewhere.

This turned up today - APT-E in the middle of it.

This also contains footage of the then BR Chairman, Sir Richard Marsh. When I went to the local Polytechnic here, there was a tradition of having "spurious students" on the register, and seeing how long it took them to spot it. We were all 'sponsored' by various organisations, Coal Board, large companies, etc. They soon spotted E Worthington, who was meant to work for Bass Brewery in Burton on Trent, partly as they wrote it down as "Worthington E" (a well-known beer of the time), but they completely fell for Dick Marsh and his alleged employer being BREL in Derby - eventually, the college wrote to complain about his lack of attendance - and got a letter back from Sir Richard saying "Ever been had?".

• 4 weeks later...
I had to ring a few times. Eventually got someone. I think they are run off their feet.

I think you're right. I finally got mine a few days ago and it came quickly once things were sorted. Read the READ THIS FIRST booklet tonight. Glad I did. Need to check clearances on my little test oval before running