Weedsprayer...again!

Rate this question

Glenderg

Question

Afternoon all.

I was thinking of doing a cut n shut of this using two ancient Hornby LMS Stanier Coaches. Any additional info would be most welcome, length, provenance etc. to try and put together a drawing of it. Snaps from 1979 when it was clean!

Ta in advance.

Richie.

weed spraying traing 79 2.jpg

weed spraying trin 79 1.jpg

weed spraying traing 79 2.jpg

weed spraying trin 79 1.jpg

18 answers to this question

Lads,

Am I on the right track thinking that the original vehicle was the bredin mail coach 2548? It appears to be either 60 ft long as 2548 http://homepage.eircom.net/~studioscale/BredV.html cheers weshty, but scaling of photos brings it to 61'6".... :confused: des coakhams book on Irish broad gauge carriages doesn't throw any further light on this iconic vehicle. Either way me 57' lms stanier donors are not suitable and a total scratch build is far more preferable. I'll post up the drawings as soon as I can get a hint at the length!

Thanks in advance.

Richie.

Afternoon all,

Just a quick update. This wagon had a 60' underframe, and I don't think there is a suitable donor wagon about. Mainline used to do a LMS 60' Stanier Coach, which would be the right chassis and roof, the side walls could be butchered to match. Anyhoo, here's the drawing I did, and the camera matching shots [for accuracy purposes.]

This photo is slightly stretched vertically which threw me off for a bit....

Lighter lines between windows etc. are the panel break lines. Comments most welcome, before I post the complete set. 44' 7" seems like an odd bogie centre dimension!=))

Richie.

Weedspray_Rake.jpg

Weedspray_Coach.jpg

Weedspray_Coach_Camera_Match.jpg

Weedspray_Rake.jpg

Weedspray_Coach.jpg

Weedspray_Coach_Camera_Match.jpg

..would you consider http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2971.php as they make a few roofs and one may be suitable plus they are reasonably priced.

Regards Gareth.

That's a great idea Gareth, but the roof profile is mighty odd and the closest roof part appears to be the BR Mk1 variant. It's been slightly compressed to match other 00 carraiges.... Dart Castings has absolutely everything else though! Thanks for the link.

The only 60' coach I am aware of is an Airfix Corridor Composite, ref 54202-1

Roof detail and under chassis detail look fairly similar

That's the one, similar to this one listed on fleabay ;)

Richie.

roof_profile.jpg

roof_profile.jpg

Catching up on this old but rather interesting thread. I quite like the look of the old CIE weed spray trains with their two coaches and five 2 axle chemical wagons.  @Glenderg Richie just wondering did you have a go at one of the weed spray coaches in the end?

I quite like the idea of the five tankers on two axle container flats. I'm wondering if I could use the tanker loads from the future IRM release with a kit bashed old style spray coach (i.e. converted brake parcel van).

There is a great picture of the old weed spray train on page 105 of "From CIE to IR the changing face of Ireland's Railways" (ISBN 978 0 7110 3476 1).  Train consists of spray coach (ex Brake parcel van), five yellow 2 axle tanker wagons, one 2 axle short yellow engineering coach, three 20ft CIE containers on 2 axle flat wagons. (see video clip below)

3036550_cdbe1a71.jpg

Youtube clip of old CIE weed spray train formation

3036435_40f441ce.jpg

Must have been awkward repositioning these trains between traffic once CWR became common due to the speed limits imposed on 2 axle wagons running on CWR.  Higher speed limits permitted on jointed rail lines.

Some good views of the old weed spray train on this clip below.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Like Noel catching up on an old but interesting thread.

The coach in question, 628A, was a 1978 conversion of 61' 6" bogie parcels van No. 2574. This itself had been converted in 1974 from Standard No. 1619 which in turn had been 1950-built Composite No. 2125, the re-classification from Composite to Standard class taking place in 1972. Dimensions of the coach were:

Length over buffers: 65' 6"; Length over headstocks: 61' 6"; Maximum Width: 9' 11¼"; Maximum Height: 12' 9"

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Side Corridor composites 2124-2129 (3F, 4T) were the last of the CIE coaching stock to be built on the 60' chassis. The 2130- series composites (1952) were built on the newer 61'6" under frames which became the standard length for almost everything after that time. It's remarkable that the 638A coach was repurposed so many times over 60 years. 

Edited by DiveController