Where to get paint?

Rate this question

BabyGM

Question

Can anyone tell me where to get small tins of RAL 2011 and RAL 1021?

I've tried P.R. Reily's ,Precision paints and Vinny Byrnes

All of them either don't have the paints or are too expensive

Any help would be appreciated

9 answers to this question

Hi BabyGM,

I picked up a can of RAL2011 only just this evening. My local 'Top Part Motor Factors' in Dungarvan mixed it up for me on the spot. Cost 20 Euro for a 400ml can. Heaps cheaper than Vinny Byrne! It's not an acrylic but a cellulose based paint. So you'll need thinners for any clean up. I sprayed my EGV with a can of it last week and it worked a treat with Halfords plastic primer as a base. Hope it's a help:tumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys I have used Vinny Byrnes in the past for aerosol ,but I want a good finish on the 201 so I'm using an airbrush and for that I need a tin rather than an aerosol

Your replies are greatly appreciated thanks

It's another type of paint. They likely only sell cellulose and water based. Water based is not great and I don't know anybody who buys it so when you got a price from them it was probably for cellulose. I was just curios how much they were charging.

Custom mixed paints are expensive unless you buy them in large quantities. You should consider trying to mix humbrol paints of similar, especially for the RAL 1021 because you wont be needing a lot of it. It may be worth buying a litre of RAL 2011 because you'll probably use it a lot.

It's another type of paint. They likely only sell cellulose and water based. Water based is not great and I don't know anybody who buys it so when you got a price from them it was probably for cellulose. I was just curios how much they were charging.

Custom mixed paints are expensive unless you buy them in large quantities. You should consider trying to mix humbrol paints of similar, especially for the RAL 1021 because you wont be needing a lot of it. It may be worth buying a litre of RAL 2011 because you'll probably use it a lot.

Thanks I'll look into the 1012 option and might buy the whole litre 0f 2011

At least then I'll be able to spray more than 3 carriages without having to buy more paint

Thanks for your reply

Also is there any chance of the paint in the tin going hard or would it just need a stir after a while of no use?

If you close it properly every time it should last a number of years. It will also need to be stirred every time before use.

Oh, and you need to thin it with Cellulose thinners. White spirit will not work. Also, make sure the cellulose is the first coat of paint to go on the model because it will melt other types of paint.

If you close it properly every time it should last a number of years. It will also need to be stirred every time before use.

Oh, and you need to thin it with Cellulose thinners. White spirit will not work. Also, make sure the cellulose is the first coat of paint to go on the model because it will melt other types of paint.

Thanks