IE Small Logo

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

21 answers to this question

What I did not realize when I posted this first (but do now since I have a newly acquired model of 078), is that MM0078 also has the old style marker light in addition to the small logo. MM0077 and MM0085 both have the newer LED marker lights (apparently installed in the 2000s) and large logo. I guess this is in keeping the small logo being applied to the prototype at some early time point followed by a move the definitive larger logo.

EDIT:

Finally managed to make it through a lot of the thread on the 071 model (which precedes my membership on the fora) and some additional information regarding the small logo here with a picture of 078 with the small logo (but the newer LED lights)http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/6-Murphy-Models-071-New-detailed-pre-production-photos-added!/page74

Could somebody remind me which years the CIE roundel, IR and IE logos were introduced in general please?

Thanks in advance

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

Could somebody remind me which years the CIE roundel, IR and IE logos were introduced in general please?

Thanks in advance

To answer my own question here,

1964- Flying Snail emblem replaced within 'Broken Wheel' logo.

1987- Logo change from CIE to 'IR' (Irish Rail)

1994- Logo change from IR to IE (Iarnrod Eireann)

THis and more cover nicely in Kieran's thread here

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4699-CIE-to-IE-Timeline?highlight=cie+timeline

• Like 1

I think it was just a marketing image decision to make them bigger.

Certainly, several 141s got the small one, but I'm nearly sure that no 121s did. I am not certain when it was first applied.

Well, you're not wrong, JB, (again). I was looking through YouTube and came across two 141s in the same clip both with small IE logos, contained completely with in the black side section (which reminded me of this thread and your comment). 187 and 153 at 3:44 & 23:05

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

On 7/9/2014 at 3:46 PM, Railer said:

Only 3 071s had the small IE logo as far as I know and was replaced with the big IE logo. 076,078 and 086 have all been recorded with the small logo. No 141/181s got it, the big version was standard.

Has anyone got any photographic evidence for 076 & 086 having the small logo on the side?

12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Has anyone got any photographic evidence for 076 & 086 having the small logo on the side?

not my snap but should suffice for 086 (Jim Ramsay on Flickr). I'm pretty certain I've seen photos of it in this guise in older Irish Mails (ITG journal).

IR 086 - Dublin Connolly

And 076 by 'Leighton Logs'

Sligo 076 Nov 94

Edited by Niles
  • Informative 2