MRSI Exhibition

Rate this topic

Kirley

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Saw some fab customised mk3s being hand delivered. :)

Shur i try my best! Nice to meet you noel.

Met with baseboard dave and dart eoin, the ultimate cheech and chong partnership. Great stuff going on with the modular stuff, and the DART is just a thing to behold.

Handed over a bit of stock to weshty, got some 42' flat parts, and bought even more decals, and a bit of a chat at the chris and dave show dominating the main room sales area. Still giddy about paddy murphy fondling my rpsi craven (most recent livery) and trying to wrangle it off big dave.... the poor wife even got to do the whole "poor wives club" with a lady from raheen. Gave her a good laugh while she was waiting for me.

All in all, great show albeit more airconditioning needed. Some don't even do the Old Spice.

R.

I was there myself today with the whole clan. The kids all loved it and herself was surprisingly impressed. First model railway exhibition in well over 20 years. at least. It was very enjoyable. I wanted to buy almost everything. In the end I settled for a Dawson Hall laser kit of Dundalk Signal Cabin. It will fit the layout somewhere. The wee display model they had looked the part.

Then we all went out to Howth and had fish and chips in a rather warm October evening before hitting the M1 back north. A grand day out.

Hi All

Congratulations Jack, I bet you will buy more raffle tickets.

It was great to meet all who came over and said hello over the 3 days, myself and Dave had a great time chatting with everyone. We are delighted to have introduced the modular system just under-coated and in sparse state, but it has put the idea out there and as it develops, hopefully so should participation develop. Even some people learned for the first time about the Martello Towers

Sorry to have missed BosKonay on Sunday- yes it was lunch!

I picked up a few bits from SSM- phonebox & break van kits, a few more Comet flatbed trucks from the Bus n Truck men from across the water, and some assorted tools from All Components Ltd and Marks.

The show was very well attended and the club guys did a great job running things. I was so busy with the stand and out-about I took no photos around the show, I did get a chance to take a few this morning of a six coach DART, I'll post it up on the DART thread.

A visitor to the show on Sunday emailed me this photo he took of DART no 1 going through the Seapoint bridge;-

DART MRSI 2014-00.jpg

Well done MRSI and everyone that came

Eoin

It was a great show as usual but is it outgrowing the Raheny venue? Space was very tight due to the number of visitors, especially where Jim Poots and George Heaney were trying to deliver pre ordered bus kits!

The exhibition must nearly be as popular now as it was in RDS days :-bd

I would tend to agree about the limited space. It felt very crowded at times and one was constantly bumping into folk while viewing exhibits. It would be nice to have a venue with a sit down cafe area on site. But it's a good complaint to have too many visitors than too few.

I'll also comment on the theme of space and agree fully with the above comments- bigger venue with more space around the exhibits and traders. As I commented earlier it was great to see such a big turn out and I hope that this can be translated into success in the future, and certainly a bigger venue should be discussed.

A great few days had. Mighty to meet all the regular bods and a few new faces as well. Amazing crowds all day Monday. Picked up some quality bespoke goodies from Glenderg, a heljian crane from the Wrenner (it's all metal!), good chat with Paddy Murphy, and had great craic watching Tony Mirolo build a bogie flat in real time;). Special thanks to Eamon for his work with the belpaire Brandon as well, a beaut. And it was great to meet Eoin and Dave, the modular layout and dart were class.

Thanks for all the support on the bogie flat, nice to see this project reaching fruition.

Next time I bring my young fella to mind the stall so i can do a proper wander.:tumbsup:

Edited by Weshty

.... great show albeit more airconditioning needed. Some don't even do the Old Spice....

A fair number of British mainland shows have been much worse. Fortunately, all the ribald remarks about brutal BO seem to be getting through to the extent that the recent Scaleforum show was BO-free!

A fair number of British mainland shows have been much worse. Fortunately, all the ribald remarks about brutal BO seem to be getting through to the extent that the recent Scaleforum show was BO-free!

I managed to avoid smelly bastards on Monday thankfully. Worst ever though was a trip to Warley a few years back :puke:

I'll also comment on the theme of space and agree fully with the above comments- bigger venue with more space around the exhibits and traders. As I commented earlier it was great to see such a big turn out and I hope that this can be translated into success in the future, and certainly a bigger venue should be discussed.

Most large venues (RDS, 3/O2 Arena, Conference Centre) are too expensive, the Mansion House is too small along with no parking and hotels wont take a 3 day booking for a hall on the bank holiday weekend. St Pauls costs the MRSI relatively little and is easily accessible with plenty of parking. Unlike the UK there are not plenty of leisure centres/big church halls about.....

Most large venues (RDS, 3/O2 Arena, Conference Centre) are too expensive, the Mansion House is too small along with no parking and hotels wont take a 3 day booking for a hall on the bank holiday weekend. St Pauls costs the MRSI relatively little and is easily accessible with plenty of parking. Unlike the UK there are not plenty of leisure centres/big church halls about.....

Hotels with big conference rooms sometimes offer deals as they will get food and bev trade from the visitors. Personally I think its nice if there is at least a cafe on site or even F&B for those who've travelled long distances. Folks may stay longer, spend more! :) And at least there is somewhere to sit down for a rest!

Hotels with big conference rooms sometimes offer deals as they will get food and bev trade from the visitors. Personally I think its nice if there is at least a cafe on site or even F&B for those who've travelled long distances. Folks may stay longer, spend more! :) And at least there is somewhere to sit down for a rest!

You wont get a deal on a bank holiday. Despite the amount of conference facilities around Dublin their prices can be steep. The last conference I managed was in the Mansion House and whilst a good venue with a reasonable price I doubt it would be big enough or suitable. Other well known venues were as much as three times the price.

You wont get a deal on a bank holiday. Despite the amount of conference facilities around Dublin their prices can be steep. The last conference I managed was in the Mansion House and whilst a good venue with a reasonable price I doubt it would be big enough or suitable. Other well known venues were as much as three times the price.

What about the IMI Conference centre in Sandyford (i.e. the large hall)? I think its only used on weekdays.

What about the IMI Conference centre in Sandyford (i.e. the large hall)? I think its only used on weekdays.

You need the hall for 4 days, also its on the Southside, MRSI being a Northside based club. Dont need confusion with the SDMRC if both shows were to be held on the Southside

Does need a bigger venue, it was seriously overcrowded. It also needs a 21mm layout, there where too many "exhibition" style layouts

dave

You need to remember that the vast majority of the people who attend just want to watch trains go by......they dont care if layouts are accurate or not in any way. You could nail 2 lines of track to a 8 x 4 sheet and exhibit it and people would be amused. Its a different market to the big shows in England/Scotland like Warley,Ally Pally,BRM Live and Modelrail Scotland.

A 21mm layout, converted stock and hand made track would sail over the heads of the vast majority of people who attend shows here. The fact that the Lego layout once again won the public vote displays this, although when I was part of the crew that brought Loughrea to the NEC for the Warley show it was interesting that a lot of people did notice it was 21mm rather than 16.5mm......... A model railway enthusiast attendance rather than general public...

You need to remember that the vast majority of the people who attend just want to watch trains go by......they dont care if layouts are accurate or not in any way. You could nail 2 lines of track to a 8 x 4 sheet and exhibit it and people would be amused. Its a different market to the big shows in England/Scotland like Warley,Ally Pally,BRM Live and Modelrail Scotland.

A 21mm layout, converted stock and hand made track would sail over the heads of the vast majority of people who attend shows here. The fact that the Lego layout once again won the public vote displays this, although when I was part of the crew that brought Loughrea to the NEC for the Warley show it was interesting that a lot of people did notice it was 21mm rather than 16.5mm......... A model railway enthusiast attendance rather than general public...

I agree Ed. Loughrea is a model of a real railway as opposed to a model railway where people just want to watch trains go by. There are some fantastic layouts in the UK that use 16.5mm track and are operated like a real railway with a time table and prototypical movements, Widnes Vineyard is one of many I could mention. Some folk attending a show would find that boring to watch and would lose interest quickly.

Rich,

Is there a bigger northside school that could be approached?

If you know one with a big hall, easy access with at least 75 parking spaces, is easily accessible by bus/rail, has catering facilities and is preferably cheap to rent for 3.5 days let me know