Nenagh in 21mm P4

Rate this topic

21mmp4

Nenagh is a 4mm layout based on the original track plan of this north county Tipperary

town. The main track work for the scenic side of the layout is nearing completion

and I hope to have a reasonable flow of photo's of the next number of weeks. More

photo's in the Album.

P4 21mm sleeper stain.JPG

P4 21mm LH.jpg

P4 21mm sleeper staining.jpg

P4 21mm before staining.jpg

B-7 P4 21mm.jpg

RedRich Hi,

The re-gauge on the 071 is nearly identical to the 181, I used P4 Black Beetle NS 14mm wheel sets. These came on

2mm axles. The axles where changed for 2mm bright steel rod filled down to allow a BB of 19.88mm. The plastic gears are removed from the

original and pushed onto the new axles (off centre) and a drop of thread lock. I have not required spacers or any removal of plastic!

I was wondering about doing copperclad with wide sleeper spacing in the fiddle yard. I think it could be a lot cheaper

Hi Junctionmad,

Copperclad with wide sleeper spacing works fine in the fiddle yard, However,Nenagh will only have two loops albeit 18ft long, and at this stage I

find building the track easier than soldering up.

RedRich Hi,

The re-gauge on the 071 is nearly identical to the 181, I used P4 Black Beetle NS 14mm wheel sets. These came on

2mm axles. The axles where changed for 2mm bright steel rod filled down to allow a BB of 19.88mm. The plastic gears are removed from the

original and pushed onto the new axles (off centre) and a drop of thread lock. I have not required spacers or any removal of plastic!

Cheers that's an ingenious method reusing the original gears on the new rod. What are using as a check rail gauge. The Scalefour stores don't seem to have them for 21mm. I was thinking I may have to use a digital caliper. The Jacobean dark oak dye seems to be producing a pleasing creosoted look on the sleepers. Nenagh is a fantastic location for a layout. The work so far is fantastic, I shall be looking in every day for updates, and will rely on your knowledge, so expect lot's of questions.

Top quality,

Rich,

Are you using all plastic chairs for the points or a mixture of rivet and chair?

Dave Hi,

I have attached a photo of the underside of a C10 21mm P4 point in the Album, this shows the area where rivets are used, the rest is

just plastic chairs.

Thanks, I presume you are supporting the crossing Vee, with rivets as well ? How come you decided to use rivets and not Slide Chairs for the switch rails ?

Lovely work , Im really torn with avoiding 21mm ( cause I don't want to make oodles of straight 21mm track) I was even thinking of going EM

dave

Hi Junctionmad,

Your layout plan for Limerick Junction is excellent, would be a serious amount of work if you went down the 21mm route.

I started Nenagh in OO with Peco 100 track and got to a near complete layout before taking the plunge into 21mm. EM is

a good option, at least you can buy the track in 1 metre lengths, but either way I recommend you use a finescale track.

Are you able to see the rest of my photo's in the Album section of this site? You should be able to copy and zoom in on the

details of the C10. Slide chairs are used but cut in two and used cosmetically.

Hi Junctionmad,

Your layout plan for Limerick Junction is excellent, would be a serious amount of work if you went down the 21mm route.

I started Nenagh in OO with Peco 100 track and got to a near complete layout before taking the plunge into 21mm. EM is

a good option, at least you can buy the track in 1 metre lengths, but either way I recommend you use a finescale track.

Are you able to see the rest of my photo's in the Album section of this site? You should be able to copy and zoom in on the

details of the C10. Slide chairs are used but cut in two and used cosmetically.

Yes Ive done a lot of copper clad fine scale in the past and I know exactly the pain of making large amounts of ordinary track.

Im ordering some exactoscale bits so will have a go at all plastic points etc

dave

• 3 weeks later...
.... What are using as a check rail gauge. The Scalefour stores don't seem to have them for 21mm. I was thinking I may have to use a digital caliper. ..

No need: ye use the same checkrail gauge available for "standard" P4. If the Stores has none in stock, use a 0.68mm spark plug feeler gauge as a substitute. If ye want it "dead scale", use 0.58mm.

21mm is just so much more convincing than "OO" for Irish 5'3", whereas "OO" is almost right for South African / Japanese 3'6"!!!

"EM" is almost correct if doing Irish broad guage in "HO"/3.5mm scale. Some of the Australian finescale modellers who follow the Victorian Railways 5'3" in "HO" have gone beyond "EM" and have pushed out to 18.37mm gauge.

Edited by Horsetan