Dapol cie coaches arrive

Rate this topic

heirflick

hi lads - postman pat landed this morning with the black and tan composite and brake coach and a break in the green livery.......

dapol 022.jpg

trying to decide if the white stripe is a little too wide......

dapol 028.jpg

i know the lower band was the incorrect width in the first composite released but im glad that they left it the same width on the brake!

dapol 011.jpg

dapol 013.jpg

dapol 015.jpg

dapol 020.jpg

dapol 021.jpg

dapol 026.jpg

dapol 027.jpg

In terms of width of lines, the white is way too wide, but both green lines are, unfortunately, worse - especially the lower one. While scale may make it awkward, the "snails" and "3" numerals should be edged in gold.

The two green shades are very accurate though, judging by the photo.

The numerals on the black'n'tan coaches are far too large.

That said, when all is said and done, any new Irish stock is very welcome.

Edited by jhb171achill

Thanks for making the effort to take the photos and post. The green livery coaches look very nice. Pity the black and tans are suburban with all those compartment doors instead of mainline with corridor connectors between the coaches. Nice photos btw. How do the coaches run? Plastic or metal wheels?

PS: Like that loco shed.

Thanks for making the effort to take the photos and post. The green livery coaches look very nice. Pity the black and tans are suburban with all those compartment doors instead of mainline with corridor connectors between the coaches. Nice photos btw. How do the coaches run? Plastic or metal wheels?

PS: Like that loco shed.

My first train ride was from Killiney to Tara Street in a black and tan non-corridor behind a black A or C class some time in the late 60s early 70s.

Up to around 1972 CIE used to make up a rake of late GSWR/early GSR stock for summer holiday traffic on the Bray line. The Dapol/Airfix suburbans with their flush sides are fairly close in general appearance to late 1920s built GSR non-corridor stock.

My first train ride was from Killiney to Tara Street in a black and tan non-corridor behind a black A or C class some time in the late 60s early 70s.

Up to around 1972 CIE used to make up a rake of late GSWR/early GSR stock for summer holiday traffic on the Bray line. The Dapol/Airfix suburbans with their flush sides are fairly close in general appearance to late 1920s built GSR non-corridor stock.

My first train ride was with Mary OReilly, and I will give you all the details over a few pints some evening after the 3 day show!

Just seen the price of them 35.99!,paddy's coaches @45 come on now.

In fairness while the dapol are nice coaches, I don't think they are exact scale replicas of any particular prototype that ran in Ireland, rather approximations, whereas MM Cravens are exact replicas and have features like sprung buffers, so all in all the price of the Dapol coaches seems about right. Btw, I haven't had to pay more that €40 for any MM coaches so far this year from a variety of vendors. Now if I could find a source of nice RTR CIE laminates/Bredins at sensible prices! :)

List price for MM's Mk 2's is €44.99

And I hate to think what the price of the Super train ones coming out for Christmas will be, probably nearer to €60!

I thought it was €49.99. That's what most dealers are listing at. Most sterling sites had them listed at £44.99 (i.e. GBP), but sterling and the Euro have drifted significantly apart in the past four months. Glad I collected my GWR, LMS, BR and LNER coaching stock 20 years ago before todays high prices.

I thought it was €49.99. That's what most dealers are listing at. Most sterling sites had them listed at £44.99 (i.e. GBP), but sterling and the Euro have drifted significantly apart in the past four months. Glad I collected my GWR, LMS, BR and LNER coaching stock 20 years ago before todays high prices.

I have some of those as well, glad my little collecting was'nt in vain, :-bd

In terms of width of lines, the white is way too wide,

...i knew i saw pics of non corridor comps with different width of white in the b&t livery. they are taken from a book by Michael HC baker called the railways of Ireland past and present -Dublin'. i have been talking to Michael and he has given me permission to publish the pics here.

016.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

• 7 months later...

Unfortunate, something else to rewheel, straight out of the box. :doh: Will get some though...

Did get them but ran them today effectively for the first time. It's really annoying that they come with the bogie reversed and I had to take an axle out of each to turn the coupling outwards for running. The bogies are flimsy and the axles don't reseat convincingly. I do like the body even though they aren't prototypical and they look well behind a 141 in B'n'T where the light tan of the coach looks faded. Too light for an MM Supertrain but pretty close for the Black and Tan. THey do wobble a bit though and I'm not sure how to rectify that. Not sure if it's just the design or quality of the bogies. Maybe a little weight added somewhere or maybe it's not remediable to any significant degree. Any thoughts?

PS I have one coupling that "right-handed" instead of the usual 'left'-

Closer inspection reveals they coupling was out on upside down but the coupling hook was the right way up. Hopefully just prize it off and invert it